prices in france

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
heading to northern france in june for three weeks, anybody got any idea how much the campsites are ,how much would i expect to pay average,
all tips greately appreciated.never been to france am i going to enjoy this tour.

hubbike

A euro is worth about 91p at the moment so france is not quite as cheap as it has been in the past. Look out for Camping a la Ferme (just camping on someone's farm) and Municipal campsites which tend to be reasonable.

Camping Sauvage (wild camping) is illegal in France but if you are discrete (go to bed after dark and set off early) you can get away with it.

We stayed in Honfleur (prices here) in a little tent and the bill came to 11 euro a night (for 2). However that did not include a shower which was charged at 1 euro (but there was more than enough hot water for two people to wash in) most campsites were a similar sort of price.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks for that hubbike,if i get away with eleven euro for camping i'll be a happy camper.

andym

Über Member
11 euros a night isn't a bad benchmark. I've been researching campsite prices in Brittany for a trip and I've noticed that quite a few (especially nearer the coast) charge a set price for the emplacement, two campers and vehicle; I've been used to campsites charging for the tent and per person and for the vehicle - which works out as a better deal for a solo cyclist. I don't know whether this is growing trend. Anyway - something to watch out for.

asterix

Comrade Member
Even years ago camping by the coast was more expensive than inland. You pay for the disco music which is excellent value, lasting as it does into the small hours of the morning.

This site is useful and seems to include all our local sites.

www.campingo.com/

Crankarm

Guru
In 2004 the municipal campsite in the town of St Jean de Peid Port was 3 or 4 Euro a night. I know it is near the Spanish border but it gives you an idea. Many of the municipal campsites are very good VFM. The one in Ascain above St Jean de Luz is cheap and very pretty.

andym

Über Member
asterix said:
Even years ago camping by the coast was more expensive than inland. You pay for the disco music which is excellent value, lasting as it does into the small hours of the morning.

My comments applied just as much to the smaller 2* sites and were about the structure of the tarrif rather than the overall level.

Crankarm - 3-4 euros. Happy days eh?

asterix

Comrade Member
andym said:
My comments applied just as much to the smaller 2* sites and were about the structure of the tarrif rather than the overall level.

..but still more expensive for cyclists of course. I admit that my experiences are based on the Mediterranean and Western Atlantic coasts where they prefer to cater for static family holidays rather than mobile tourists. You don't have to travel far inland to find more reasonable prices and charging arrangements.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
so what about normandy is there much in the difference in prices there.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jags said:
so what about normandy is there much in the difference in prices there.

No. Some sites with better facilities, bar, pool etc will be more expensive whatever their location. I've toured a lot in northern France and the cheapest I've paid for 2 people and 1 tent is 3.50 Euros and the dearest was 20 Euros.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
rich-p thanks for that great news, the fund.s are a wee bit tight so im just trying to budget each day cost's.

yello

Dave Davenport said:
Typical municipal sites (which are usually very good) are 7 - 10 euros.

That much now, blimey. It was a few years back but I seem to recall paying 3 to 4.

I'd also agree with what asterix says about (Altantic) coast sites... they are expensive and hell holes! Think Butlins and you're close! I paid around €12 (as I recall) for a site on the Île de Ré (off La Rochelle) and it was easily the worst I stayed at in terms of noise, uncleanliness and general chaos. The inland ones are an oasis of calm, even at the same time of year.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jags said:
okay stupit question how can i tell which is a private site and a municipal one

Jags, this site is quite useful

French Camping

Some of the sites in the listings for the regions are called Camping Municipal de BlahBlah but I don't think it's always the case. Check on the town's website or the camp's website maybe.

Top Bottom