Pricing help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Raindancer411

Oh they were kept indoors and had their own room lol

What do the frame numbers mean and is there anywhere we can look them up?

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Oh they were kept indoors and had their own room lol

What do the frame numbers mean and is there anywhere we can look them up?
frame numbers could or should help you age the bikes , easiest place to look is on the hubs as there could be 2 sets of 2 number which should be month or week and year

ChrisEyles

Guru
That BSA looks very sharp indeed! Also the Raleigh, though less my cup of tea.

If you can wait, then advertise it on ebay (or wherever) polish up the bikes (though looks like they are in excellent condition already - but take the lights off the Raleigh maybe) put up some decent photos of it, and maybe look up and list the parts (if you have a nice crankset, derailleurs etc this may add to the value).

Otherwise, is there anyone you know who might be interested in either? Looks to me like these bikes deserve a good home!

OP
OP
R

Raindancer411

That BSA looks very sharp indeed! Also the Raleigh, though less my cup of tea.

If you can wait, then advertise it on ebay (or wherever) polish up the bikes (though looks like they are in excellent condition already - but take the lights off the Raleigh maybe) put up some decent photos of it, and maybe look up and list the parts (if you have a nice crankset, derailleurs etc this may add to the value).

Otherwise, is there anyone you know who might be interested in either? Looks to me like these bikes deserve a good home!

We don't know anyone that's really into cycling these days. I want them to go somewhere they are appreciated which is why I searched and found this site.

ChrisEyles

Guru
A shame!

Is that a Brooks (leather saddle) I see on the BSA? If so, I'd say that would add a few quid to the value.

If I had room in the shed and the spare cash, I would be in there like a shot. Must be someone on here who fancies the look of it?

OP
OP
R

Raindancer411

I think my mum did mutter something about brooks when she was looking at the bike with me.

What's campagnolo? I really wish I knew what was on the bike but it's all above my head.

Attached a copy more pixs. Where can I look the frame numbers up as I also have those.

Thanks so far, you have all helped educate me a little more lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 68

ChrisEyles

Guru
Campagnolo make bits and bobs for bikes, including some of the nicest old vintage stuff.

Can't quite see from the pics, but check if there are names stamped on the derailleurs (just above the chainrings on the pedals, and just below the cogs on the back wheels), brake levers, pedals and cranks... to the right buyer it's all going to mean something!

Alternatively, if it's all BSA original stuff, that would be quite cool to have a matching set.

Not sure about frame numbers - if you already know the age and make of the frame, it probably won't yield much more info.

ps - I love the red matching toe straps :smile:

OP
OP
R

Raindancer411

I feel I got another visit to the bikes coming up... I have to admit as I was wheeling the racer, the way you could hear the clicks it made was lovely. Sounded very smooth

ChrisEyles

Guru
Aaah, I love the noise of an old freewheel :smile:

Why not take it for a little spin while you're there (assuming it *roughly* fits)?

OP
OP
R

Raindancer411

Maybe tempted to. Looks a smooth ride that's for sure.

My sister was at the house today and said that both bikes have brooks saddles but she couldn't see anything with campagnolo on it

The BSA is nice enough, but not top-end. Campagnolo is and was the best you can get but there is nothing like that on the BSA. The bike is worth what someone will pay for it, but not as much as has been suggested in my view.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The saddle on the BSA is a beauty and the bikes got a 531 frame which does make the bike worth a bit, however the Raleigh has just got a Brooks seat.
The leather saddle on the BSA is worth at least £40 on its own, maybe a bit more. The seat on the Raleigh is just a seat, albeit a Brooks.

Top Bottom