Primary position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Ok, it seems that this is the way to go,but i dissagree in some circumstances,as in, if it pushes a dangerous situation.Now im all for taking primary,when it is safe to do so,but if it may cause a problem for myself or other road users,i would rather revert to secondry.Safe cycling comes above even our right to take this position in the road.What do you think?

Bigtallfatbloke

I'm all for staying alive

My MetPol motorcycle instructor always stuck with "never compromise safety for the sake of position". There is no point in being dead right.

oxbob said:

after watching some of the video i'd say the nutter on the bike was in the right place on the first one with cars parked both sides. if he'd moved over the van would have squeezed through possibly knocking him off..
the second one was too far out, well before he started swerving about.
i usually stick to the left han wheel rut so that you are where the car driver will be looking when they have the time(between talking on the phone and playing with the stereo/eating /drinking).
i moved over further than normal on a country lane and was knocked off and left in the road , so now i keep well out and if the motorists are inconvenienced by a few seconds , well tough.

asterix

Comrade Member
When I cycled in Suffolk I was in the narrow main street of a small village just after a bend. In front of me I could see an oncoming car going slowly. Behind I could hear a following car going fast. The crazy fool behind couldn't see round the bend, was clearly not slowing down and there wasn't going to be room for the three of us:ohmy:

I literally leapt off the bike onto the pavement without waiting to look behind and hauled the bike off the road before the vehicle whizzed past me fractionally missing the oncoming car.

Cab

col said:
Ok, it seems that this is the way to go,but i dissagree in some circumstances,as in, if it pushes a dangerous situation.Now im all for taking primary,when it is safe to do so,but if it may cause a problem for myself or other road users,i would rather revert to secondry.Safe cycling comes above even our right to take this position in the road.What do you think?

There are plenty of situations where secondary position is more appropriate. Primary position is not a dogma, its a position that is safest unless there is something that changes that.

Top Bottom