Princess Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In the shop this morning we had to laugh at the Sun. They have been bleating about respecting her privacy for a week or more, yet accompanying this mornings front page lead was a banner, "See also pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

And a thread on Cyclechat to boot.

AndyRM

XOXO
You never know, you could always actually sign up for NCAP rather than voyeuristically sniping at it from the sidelines? Raise the bar a bit?

Not denying that there's a certain level of negativity there but that's generally historic beefs which are unlikely to change, but that's the same on any forum.

Most of us still post on this forum and as I said before none of the issues from there carry over here.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Most of us still post on this forum and as I said before none of the issues from there carry over here.
I think this is true, and the current separate NACA forum solution is working well.

A few years back the atmosphere of the forum was quite poisonous as it was slowly morphing into a politics forum with a cycling sub-forum. I remember one prolific poster being very dismissive of the cycling content because (in their opinion) there was only a limited number of things you can say about a boring subject like cycling, and that wasn't why they visited. They may even have been dismissive of the sacred Cyclechat institution the "What Chain Lube" thread. Things are much improved now.

I had the politics forum on ignore back then, but eventually I had to ignore the cafe as well because of the overall confrontational nature of the forum. It was not a good time.

As to the illness of the royals - we're all subject to the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to. Maybe celebs like them can have a positive effect in sending out appropriate messaging to the proles.

Whether they warrant a special royal thread on Cyclechat, that will always be contentious.

Last edited:
What is this thread about?

Is it about the Princess of Wales Cancer diagnosis, her being forced to go public or cancer / cancer awareness? Would she want public discussion? All well and good making comments about media and press intrusions but in our own small sphere what exactly is this thread doing if not continuing intrusions into where the person it's about probably doesn't want.

If not political on other grounds there's a moral point to it being shutdown and perhaps deleted.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If not political on other grounds there's a moral point to it being shutdown and perhaps deleted.
The discussion of cancer can also bring benefits to the public; an educational element, awareness and understanding, people not being so likely to stick their head in the sand over that worrying symptom...

This has to be balanced against the privacy of individuals, but now that Kate has made her announcement so publicly, maybe it's a topic that can be discussed sympathetically.

The discussion of cancer can also bring benefits to the public; an educational element, awareness and understanding, people not being so likely to stick their head in the sand over that worrying symptom...

This has to be balanced against the privacy of individuals, but now that Kate has made her announcement so publicly, maybe it's a topic that can be discussed sympathetically.

It was always a topic that could be discussed sympathetically. It's not sympathetic to the Princess of Wales to discuss it on the back of a possibly painful and unwanted statement caused by mass media speculation on a private matter of a public figure.

If you want to talk about cancer you can do that. I solely question it happening on the back of a situation made worse by the discussion of it in social media. This is a forced situation on a 42 year old mother of 3 young children. I think social media using her situation as an excuse to talk about cancer is a bit contrived when we can talk about it on its own. Indeed there's a fair amount of discussion on cancer elsewhere on this forum without mention of a public figure. Two things are separate topics.

What's interesting about this thread is how the title is about the individual but from the first page of posts the discussion was about how the previous thread was shutdown and matters other than what the post title indicates. There's an off-topic / political rule that this thread seems to break quite a lot.

Moderators

Legendary Member
Mod note.

Thread closed for what should be obvious reasons.

Please do not start any more threads re Kate and her current situation, or those discussing moderation or what does or does not occur in NCAP.

If you have any comments or suggestions to make please use Contact Us.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom