Princess Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Didn't pay for it - free from Waitrose and primarily for the weeks TV guide.

In terms of general sales numbers, the newspapers are crying the poor tale, sales of newspapers have fallen off a cliff, the amount of newspapers that comes back to the distributers is shocking, i've seen the 19 foot long waste containers, full of magazines & papers being collected 3 times a day, these things have a capacity of 15 Tonnes, god knows how much waste is generated nation wide from these publications, which seem to go out on a sale or return basis, this is just one distribution centre local to me.

stephec

Legendary Member
In the shop this morning we had to laugh at the Sun. They have been bleating about respecting her privacy for a week or more, yet accompanying this mornings front page lead was a banner, "See also pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Is that newspaper speak for, 'other papers have got hold of information that's eluded us, so we're going to pretend to take the moral high ground as we've no other option?'

Reactions: C R

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
In terms of general sales numbers, the newspapers are crying the poor tale, sales of newspapers have fallen off a cliff, the amount of newspapers that comes back to the distributers is shocking, i've seen the 19 foot long waste containers, full of magazines & papers being collected 3 times a day, these things have a capacity of 15 Tonnes, god knows how much waste is generated nation wide from these publications, which seem to go out on a sale or return basis, this is just one distribution centre local to me.

In the last ten years the number delivered to us every morning has halved.

She's middle aged at 42 not a young woman really. Her position didn't come around through fate at all. She waited for him for years whilst he dithered about deciding what to do regarding marrying her etc.
What a dreadful time the Royal Family are having of it at the moment with one issue and another.
I hope she makes a good recovery and also so do all the other people in this country who are suffering with cancer and other illnesses.

She is half my age therefore to me she is a young woman!
Going off topic we saw on TV the other night a show The King and Mrs Simpson where it was suggested that one of the strikes against her was that at age 39 she would be unlikely to be able to produce an heir.
Kate has done her duty in that regard!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think they have a tough job to begin with and should not have to explain if they need some down time.

Not only did she have the illness to contend with. She had the media constantly breathing down her neck.

Now the media are all back pedalling.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
It's just another opportunity for the right on lefties to bash the royals. What else would anyone expect?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I agree Mo I’m seriously considering leaving Cycle Chat

A shame to hear familiar names are thinking of leaving.

Must be very rare that posts/threads about cycling get deleted/locked, so what exactly is so wrong with this cycling forum that you would leave?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm curious.
Is your issue with the posters who break the rules or with the Mod team/Management who enforce the rules?
Or perhaps the rules themselves?

I have no issue with the rules, but just feel many interesting threads have been locked over the last few months because they are considered mildly political. I just think it's spoiling the forum slightly, that's all.

I have no issue with the rules, but just feel many interesting threads have been locked over the last few months because they are considered mildly political. I just think it's spoiling the forum slightly, that's all.

I have a slight tendency to agree, although the rules are quite clear - if the political discussion relates to cycling then it should be ok.

However, what's more striking for me is the incivility that any discussion with a political influence takes. Trolling, name calling, subtle (and not so subtle ) digs are the order of the day. (For an example of where that ends up head over to NACA. )
What evolves tends not to be a discussion where views are exchanged, perspectives examined and some commonality is sought out - it's an out and out battle.
In those circumstances I can understand perfectly why those responsible are quick to shut it down.

I know of one post deleted from the previous thread that seemed to be all about Trump if I'm recalling correctly. WTF? That isn't an issue of rules or moderation. That's on us. What kind of an environment do we provide for someone to think that's OK to shoehorn that into a discussion about Cancer, nominally titled for a famous person suffering from it?

It can be said, pretty justifiably, that nothing from NACA bleeds over to here (but not in reverse), however, the incivility, the nastiness and the aggression so evident in so much political debate is seeping into normal cycling discussion and presumably, normal life.
That'll kill this place. Not political debate or the lack of it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have a slight tendency to agree, although the rules are quite clear - if the political discussion relates to cycling then it should be ok.

However, what's more striking for me is the incivility that any discussion with a political influence takes. Trolling, name calling, subtle (and not so subtle ) digs are the order of the day. (For an example of where that ends up head over to NACA. )
What evolves tends not to be a discussion where views are exchanged, perspectives examined and some commonality is sought out - it's an out and out battle.
In those circumstances I can understand perfectly why those responsible are quick to shut it down.

I know of one post deleted from the previous thread that seemed to be all about Trump if I'm recalling correctly. WTF? That isn't an issue of rules or moderation. That's on us. What kind of an environment do we provide for someone to think that's OK to shoehorn that into a discussion about Cancer, nominally titled for a famous person suffering from it?

It can be said, pretty justifiably, that nothing from NACA bleeds over to here (but not in reverse), however, the incivility, the nastiness and the aggression so evident in so much political debate is seeping into normal cycling discussion and presumably, normal life.
That'll kill this place. Not political debate or the lack of it.

Sadly, it seems to be creeping into society, and I think it got so much worse following Covid. Common manners, decency and respect towards our fellow man seems to be declining rapidly.

albion

Guru
It is both perception, promotion and intellect. Sadly there are too many lacking people like Joey Barton about.
Aiming for higher intellect would also have produced real stories about the royals during their drought.
Staying popular certainly has its drawbacks.

Sadly, it seems to be creeping into society, and I think it got so much worse following Covid. Common manners, decency and respect towards our fellow man seems to be declining rapidly.

I'm not so sure about that - but then again, I don't live in the UK. These things tend to go in cycles.
The thing is, if that's what you see happening do you sit by and watch it happen or do you try to do something about it?
('You' is not the personal you, it's the 'Society you')

And if 'Society' is too big to tackle individually, surely CC isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom