Principia rs6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Picked this rather nice looking but small Principia up earlier in the week initially i was tempted to strip it for parts as it has some rather nice bits on it . I thinks it dates from somewhere between 2002 and 2006 .

WP_20170128_003.jpg

Its a mix of dura ace with a Tiagra fr mech and the chainset is a mix of a Stronglight superlight spider with 53/39 zircal rings and a shimano non driveside arm . Sti's are Dura ace flightdeck units 2 x 9 gearing ,brakes are very good dura ace units .

WP_20170128_004.jpg

The forks are full carbon and it tips my cheap baggage scales at 8.5 kg so fairly light . And according to size chart its a 51cm frame made with 7020 grade alloy .Wheels are made up with some frm hubs with ritchey aero pro rims .

lifted the saddle a couple of inches to suit me and then after taking these pics i flipped the stem and gained about an inch so its not low for me ,

looking at this link gives some details
http://web.archive.org/web/20061210031103/http://www.principiabikes.com/pdf/Principia_bikes.pdf
WP_20170128_005.jpg
WP_20170128_007.jpg
WP_20170128_008.jpg
WP_20170128_009.jpg
WP_20170128_010.jpg

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Nice!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ride it. Seriously.

There's reasons why I've got two Principia's; both the commuter RSLe and the TT bike are 51cm frames.
@DCLane even after flipping the bars they are still a bit low for me and the reach is about 1.5 cm shorter than ideal but going to give it a few rides this week weather permitting .

The will see i might even have a longer stem in the stores but unsure if the current cables will allow it

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A quick look in parts box and hey presto one 100 stem all fitted gives me a better fit for sure will see when i get to ride it .

Might need to play with bar rotation but it seems ok in the garage

100_7353.jpg
100_7351.jpg
100_7352.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
I love the shape of those forks! Looks very nice indeed to me.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Second day of commuting on this one today, yesterday was a mixed day on it but mainly down to a stupid dog.

WP_20170131_002.jpg

Another cc er said jokingly this wasn't old enough to be in this section.

U

User32269

Looks really nice. I've never ridden an alloy frame that I like, always found them harsh and jittery. Do the carbon forks help?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks really nice. I've never ridden an alloy frame that I like, always found them harsh and jittery. Do the carbon forks help?

well so far i find it very comfy and not at all harsh , once i have done a few more local miles i will venture further afield on it and get a better idea of comfort etc etc .

And with the longer stem and raised saddle its not far off from my ideal set up that i use .

I have many alloy frames - most of them a mixture of steel, manganese, molybdenum or chromium ;)
I do though have two aluminium-framed bikes: a modern Claud Butler with a steel fork which is indeed harsh, jittery and generally rubbish; and a Genesis Volant which is reasonably refined for such a short wheelbase.
It still doesn't have that kind of silkiness that a well-sorted, racy steel frame does though!

Top Bottom