Print Screen Key Gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone use the print screen key? I have been using PC's for about 30 years and don't think I have ever used it.

All the time, I have dedicated screen capture tools that are more powerful but it's so convenient to use. I use Alt-PrtScr more as that captures just the active window.

Mike_P

Guru
Bit confused by this. Yes it has changed, on my laptop it comes up with a mini menu allowing for the whole screen or a snip of it be captured. So PrtScr still does that but with an extra mouse click needed. In the main I have no need to copy the taskbar so normally snip and that is a far quicker task than in W10

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Bit confused by this. Yes it has changed, on my laptop it comes up with a mini menu allowing for the whole screen or a snip of it be captured. So PrtScr still does that but with an extra mouse click needed. In the main I have no need to copy the taskbar so normally snip and that is a far quicker task than in W10

I've discovered the source of the confusion. The link in the OP:
1681556209382.png

The Daily Mail science ( :laugh: ) correspondent says that a 20 year old feature has changed and users are not happy.

Unsurprisingly the DM have got it totally wrong. It's around 40 years old, it's still pretty much the same, and no one is bothered. Some people quite like it.

Last edited:

Dadam

Back in the days of DOS you used to have to pipe the output of a command to the LPT port so it would appear on the printer and not on the screen. You could also use it to send the result to a file.

Still do that occasionally (pipe to a file not to LPT1!) for command line utilities in powershell or WSL bash. Especially useful for containers.

Mike_P

Guru
Isn't the "snipping tool" being replaced by "snip and sketch"?

It's painfully drawn on W10 with a nag screen every time the snipping tool is opened to try snip and sketch. On W11 it's just the snipping tool and a search for snip and sketch finds it to be a download from softronic.com if wanted

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I've used alt print screen more , grabs the current window. I've not used the snip too yet .

Top Bottom