Print Screen Key Gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
But there is a fix
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...G-20-year-old-feature-users-NOT-happy-it.html
Clipboard01.jpg

ExBrit

Über Member
Yeah I read about this in the trade rags
https://betanews.com/2023/04/11/mic...nction-of-the-print-screen-key-in-windows-11/

I reckon there's a pretty good chance Microsoft will reverse this decision. Or at least make the old functionality the default setting.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Activating the snipping tool seems like a sensible change.

I have a story about the printscreen key. In about 1985 I was working at the head office of an American bank. PCs were just executive toys that all the proper computing (=IBM mainframe) people sneered at. I had blagged my way into a job as some kind of microcomputer expert, but I knew nothing.

Anyway one of the important execs got a colour ink jet printer. A very exotic toy. There were no drivers for it and I was told to make it work for his PC. He wanted to print colour images onto acetate slides (remember them?) for overhead projectors.

After endless hours of poring over manuals I managed to hook some code to the printscreen key that found whatever was in the graphics card memory, munged it up and and sent stuff over the parallel port to the printer. Days of testing, using up boxes of paper and expensive ink and I finally got it working. Press printscreen and your colour on screen image came out on paper!

Problem was, Mr Important American wanted it on acetate and I never thought to test it on that.

It didn't work. After all that, the ink was completely incompatible with acetate sheets.

ExBrit

Über Member
It would have been cheaper to pay an art student peanuts to stand behind mr. important and paint his screen onto an acetate sheet. Your job would have consisted of wiring up the print screen key to some kind of cattle prod inserted into the student.

Stephenite

Membå
Does anyone use the print screen key? I have been using PC's for about 30 years and don't think I have ever used it.

I find myself having to ctrl-P occasionally.

Not me personally but I am getting to an age.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would have used the snipping tool, or SnagIt, just to capture the part of the screen that I wanted.
Well, I suppose that is what Microsoft are trying to encourage!

I haven't used SnagIt.

I used the snipping tool a few times but always seem to end up reverting to using print screen.

I have played with OBS Studio for grabbing video from the laptop screen. I had intended to use that to make some tutorial videos but I think I will probably just use a camera and record myself using my apps on a tablet instead.

richardfm

Veteran
Well, I suppose that is what Microsoft are trying to encourage!

I haven't used SnagIt.

I used the snipping tool a few times but always seem to end up reverting to using print screen.

I have played with OBS Studio for grabbing video from the laptop screen. I had intended to use that to make some tutorial videos but I think I will probably just use a camera and record myself using my apps on a tablet instead.

Camtasia, another product from the people who make SnagIt would be good for making your tutorial videos https://www.techsmith.com/video-editor.html

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I might not switch to Win 11 for 2.5 years (when support for Win 10 stops) so I won't be affected by the PrtScr change for a long while anyway.

It does seem odd to impose the change on people for no obvious reason.

Camtasia, another product from the people who make SnagIt would be good for making your tutorial videos https://www.techsmith.com/video-editor.html
Thanks. The problem with doing it on the laptop is that the portrait-mode window doesn't have enough vertical resolution. I would have to turn the desktop through 90 degrees and fill the laptop's HD screen with the window, which would be a bit clumsy. Anyway, it's an Android app so it would be more natural to watch it being used with a finger or stylus on a touchscreen device, rather than wiggling a mouse pointer about in a laptop window.

My main setup uses a Bluetooth keyboard with 3 hotkeys to quickly switch between whichever one of the three computers I am typing to. The keyboard is both Mac and PC compatible.

As a result of the additional functionality the Print Screen key is omitted from the keyboard and I therefore use Windows key + Shift + S to open the snipping tool. I first this seemed a compromise too far but now I use it everywhere, even on keyboards with the Print Screen button.

With Print Screen I was always having to open Paint, or similar, to paste the buffered capture to then crop out the section I required, select and copy that and paste that to where I intended to use it. The snipping tool allows me to achieve the same outcome so much quicker.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Does anyone use the print screen key? I have been using PC's for about 30 years and don't think I have ever used it.

I used to use it all the time until they introduced/I discovered the snipping tool. (Shift-Win-S) I might start using it again now it has been repurposed.

Top Bottom