Priority Continuum Onyx vs. conventional hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anitje

Hi! Newbie here....

I'm looking for a bike to ride for transportation, fun and exercise in western MA, and sometimes on shopping trips as well (I use panniers).
I mostly ride on bike trails but also sometimes on roads that can be rather hilly. I ride almost daily.
My rides tend to usually be in the 10-30 mi. range though I do ride farther on occasion.
Back and butt comfort are considerations given my age- they limit my riding distance more than fatigue.

The Priority bike and the Marin Fairfax are two top Wirecutter recommendations, with a big price difference (Fairfax 2 would cost me $720, no tax...Onyx would cost me $1300 plus tax.)
The Onyx is an intriguing piece of engineering, and very appealing due to lack of maintenance (something I am quite lazy about), and it gets nothing but raves from all reviewers. Owners seem to universally love it, and say that it compares favorably with much pricier bikes. But it is considerably heavier, and is marketed as a "commuter" bike, rather than a conventional hybrid/fitness bike (which is what I am used to riding- Trek FX2 at least 10 yres. old- but my Trek is now permanently living in my winter home in FL).

So I wonder....

what is the difference between a "hybrid/fitness" bike and a high quality "commuter" bike? And does the Onyx perform both functions well?

And I also wonder from Priority Onyx owners:
- How well would this bike serve my purpose? And how would my riding experience compare with a "good" dedicated hybrid in the $750 range?
- How well does the bike perform in hills (compared with a decent hybrid)?
- How does it compare in comfort and riding efficiency with a decent hybrid?
- What is your experience in general with the bike? Should I spend the extra money if I can afford it, over a good hybrid?

I'm 6' tall, weight in the high 150s, so I would prob. get a 21" frame.

(I also own an e-bike ).

Thanks in advance.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Welcome!

I don't have experience of either bike, but I read that the CVT hub on the Onyx is 85% efficient; that compares with (I believe) 95% or more for a well adjusted derailleur gear train. That may matter less on an ebike but its a lot if you are doing all the work.

I would also worry about reliability for the CVT hub. Chains and Derailleurs do need maintenance or replacement, but that need not be demanding financially or in time if you DIY it or pay someone to do it for you.

The final strike against the Onyx (for me) is the direct sales approach. How do you know it will fit and that you will like it?

Top Bottom