Priority on roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
What if there are people at all four exits? Is it just whoever goes first?

Ahhh, that's the Mexican Stand-off! No-one moves, then everyone goes at the same time...

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Priority is still from the right.
Not in Norwich, the priority on roundabouts is trucks as I discovered today when one just drove at me. trucks then BMWs & Audis and then blind people faffing with their radio as they just drive on to the roundabout regardless of who is already there.
I really think that a nice well placed police car on Longwater roundabout would keep a couple of Traffic police busy with paperwork for a good month or so.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Traffic already on the roundabout has priority. This is actually where the "priority" from the right rule is interpreted from.
Thanks for that clarification. I always wondered that. It isn't very clear in the highway code.

Where I used to live, they built a mini roundabout where the road from the estate joined the A6. But people always seemed to interpret 'priority to the right' as waiting to pull onto the roundabout if anything was coming along the A6 towards the roundabout from the right, even if they had time to be well onto the roundabout before that traffic reached it.

Having said that, if someone is approaching at high speed it would be well to assume they may not stop in time!!

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
This is the way I interpret roundabouts of any size:
  1. Vehicles already on the roundabout have priority. However, on large roundabouts there may be room for you to safely enter infront of a vehicle. But the speed of the vehicle and your exit will have to play into whether or not it is a safe manouvre.
  2. If you arrive at a roundabout and have a car arriving at the junction to your right, they have priority.
  3. If two vehicles arrive at a roundabout at the same time in opposite directions, the person who arrived at the roundabout first has priority.
  4. If you arrive at a roundabout the same time as a vehicle on your left, you have priority.
On a roundabout, I always try to see where the traffic is going, so you can judge an appropriate gap to move into. It doesnt always stop other people from not giving way though.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Having said that, if someone is approaching at high speed it would be well to assume they may not stop in time!!

But that is a tactic of the 'I won't stop, get out of my way' brigade and is basically bullying. A number of times I have forced them to screech to a sudden, unwanted stop while they sit there fuming and swearing (see, they can and do stop if they have to!) as I plod nonchalantly across their path with a silly innocent grin on my face.

I shouldn't do it, as their journey is much more important than mine, their time is much more valuable than mine and clearly they couldn't set of in good time to complete their journey in good time as they were busy finishing other work of vital importance. I know they have seen me, I know they know the accepted rules (the ones they agreed to when they were given a driving licence) but sometimes I assert my 'rights' and give them a little reminder :thumbsup:

PpPete

Legendary Member
But that is a tactic of the 'I won't stop, get out of my way' brigade and is basically bullying. A number of times I have forced them to screech to a sudden, unwanted stop while they sit there fuming and swearing (see, they can and do stop if they have to!) as I plod nonchalantly across their path with a silly innocent grin on my face.

I shouldn't do it, as their journey is much more important than mine, their time is much more valuable than mine and clearly they couldn't set of in good time to complete their journey in good time as they were busy finishing other work of vital importance. I know they have seen me, I know they know the accepted rules (the ones they agreed to when they were given a driving licence) but sometimes I assert my 'rights' and give them a little reminder :thumbsup:

There is particular mini RB near me (used to be a T junction) where I have often felt the need to "assrt my rights" as ILS puts it.
Approach up the branch of the "T" looking obviously only to the right (but sneakily keeping a watch out of the corner of my eye for anything from left)
Position very strong primary to make it quite clear I want to go right.
Track stand if need to stop (not for long though - I'm not that good).
Pull across dotted line if I have priority, pretending to ignore whatever is coming from left thinking they can bully their way through.
Be prepared to slam on the anchors and/or take violent evasive manoeuvres if it looks like going wrong.
On a couple of occasions I've ended up travelling along the road after the RB (the top of the T) on the outside of an SUV.
There is a Pelican crossing straight after, which usually provides a good audience when I tap poiltely on the driver's window to ask them to explain their actions. :laugh:

Anyone got a two-lane approach? On mine I want to go straight on, and cars overtake me by using the right hand lane, then try and overtake on the roundabout!

400bhp

Guru
There is particular mini RB near me (used to be a T junction) where I have often felt the need to "assrt my rights" as ILS puts it.
Approach up the branch of the "T" looking obviously only to the right (but sneakily keeping a watch out of the corner of my eye for anything from left)
Position very strong primary to make it quite clear I want to go right.
Track stand if need to stop (not for long though - I'm not that good).
Pull across dotted line if I have priority, pretending to ignore whatever is coming from left thinking they can bully their way through.
Be prepared to slam on the anchors and/or take violent evasive manoeuvres if it looks like going wrong.
On a couple of occasions I've ended up travelling along the road after the RB (the top of the T) on the outside of an SUV.
There is a Pelican crossing straight after, which usually provides a good audience when I tap poiltely on the driver's window to ask them to explain their actions. :laugh:

s'about right:thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 2684739, member: 30090"]I don't think I saw you once doing a life saver going/braking into and/or coming off the mini rab. Just saying.:smile:[/quote]
In the first clip, at 26 seconds, I did a life saver, I also obviously braked.
Start of the second clip, I did a life saver, and another shortly after, and another.
Third clip did a life saver pretty much at the start and another shortly after.
Do I need to go on? I think you might want to watch videos more clearly in future before you comment.

I'm not sure how you expect to see someone braking from a video, especially one using a wide FOV, it is very hard to notice speed changes.

campbellab

I especially like large mini-RABs (ie non raised) where theres plenty of time to join and clear the path even when others are approaching from your right. But as they cut the RAB up/half drive on the wrong side of the road you can't do the graceful roundabout dance as it is supposed to be danced.

Top Bottom