Prison sentence for driver.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Commences on date of release now, it didn't used to.

The ban starts on conviction.

The length of ban is decided at sentence.

Judges - and magistrates - are told to take time to be spent in custody into account to prevent those jailed serving their driving ban in prison.

The projected release date is after half the sentence.

In this case the judge was aiming for a ban of two years. so he banned him for three to take a year spent in prison into account.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The ban starts on conviction.

The length of ban is decided at sentence.

Judges - and magistrates - are told to take time to be spent in custody into account to prevent those jailed serving their driving ban in prison.

The projected release date is after half the sentence.

In this case the judge was aiming for a ban of two years. so he banned him for three to take a year spent in prison into account.

Thanks.

I'm still sure that I read (maybe around 2015) that there could be a situation where a driver was jailed for death by dangerous driving for four years, banned for three, and could effectively end up being off the road for 7 years.

I'll need to have a root around.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks.

I'm still sure that I read (maybe around 2015) that there could be a situation where a driver was jailed for death by dangerous driving for four years, banned for three, and could effectively end up being off the road for 7 years.

I'll need to have a root around.

Your recollection is probably correct.

The sentencing guidelines were changed fairly recently to take time spent in prison into account.

The change was made after a couple of killer drivers served their entire ban in custody, rendering it largely meaningless.

I say largely because a driver convicted of any of the dangerous driving offences will have to take an extended test if they want a licence after the ban expires.

Unlike drink driving, where the licence is reinstated automatically at the end of the ban.

Drago

Legendary Member
2 years isnpuny for a act of wanton recklessness aimed deliberately at another human being. I've potted people for that long who've caused injury while being reckless, but who hadnt deliberately aimed their aggression at the victim.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
but I wonder how much of that jail term he'll serve? Good behaviour etc.

Presumably, like most prisoners on two-year+ sentences, if he's a good boy he'll be let out on licence at the halfway point of his sentence.

Do you have any reason to believe it will be earlier ?

Top Bottom