Private car parking fines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So it was a free car park, but you parked outside the box.
Where is the financial loss for the landowner?
Seems very odd to me.
The unauthorised occupation of a second car parking space denied another shopper the opportunity to visit because the car park was full at some point between the OP parking and returning. Like hell it was.

On the other hand, shouldn't there be a £100 fine for shopping at numberplates-for-bikes anyway?

Drago

Legendary Member
I think my registration is still PNC blocked. They'd have fun trying to get my details from the DVLA (cue massive programme of private car park disobedience by myself to test the theory).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So it was a free car park, but you parked outside the box.
Where is the financial loss for the landowner?
Seems very odd to me.

I agree there is no financial loss to the owner.

But the big but is the judge in Beavis decided there did not need to be, the charge, to use his quaint word, was not 'unconscionable'.

Some ways of fighting a ticket post-Beavis are listed in this link, but it really comes down to brinkmanship - the parker is relying on the company losing the will to pursue the ticket before he loses the will to fight it.

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/fighting-beavis-argument/

Contacting the retailer is worth a go.

I had a ticket cancelled by McDonalds, partly because I was only a few minutes over, and partly because the time limit had only been introduced a few weeks earlier.

pplpilot

Guru
I've had at least half a dozen of these 'parking charge notices' over the years. Every one has been put straight in the nearest bin on whichever car park it was issued.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm reminded of this from July this year...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40628560

Seventy-five members of staff at a Cardiff hospital have been left "broken" by a court ruling that means they owe thousands of pounds in parking tickets, a campaigner has said.

On Friday, a judge at Cardiff Civil Justice Centre ruled private company Indigo could collect the charges from University Hospital of Wales staff
.​

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Thanks for the replies . I was over the lines but the car park was pretty empty . I said that to the guy that had issued the ticket and i always go to the empty part of the car park well away from the shops as thats the only place i can get a swing round to get the van in . If i go to the busy part i cant get the van in or if someone parks next to me i cant get out .
It was very clear after the event that there are signs saying you will be fined £100 if you park outside the lines but very new to me and ive been local all my life .

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies . I was over the lines but the car park was pretty empty . I said that to the guy that had issued the ticket and i always go to the empty part of the car park well away from the shops as thats the only place i can get a swing round to get the van in . If i go to the busy part i cant get the van in or if someone parks next to me i cant get out .
It was very clear after the event that there are signs saying you will be fined £100 if you park outside the lines but very new to me and ive been local all my life .

Do not know about the charges, but I worked scaffolding and steel erecting on that site in the seventies, they were were a long way up.

midlife

Guru

As I said our car parking is rigidly enforced here at work.

One of my colleagues has parked his black Audi A3 reg ending in JUV in the same place in the staff car park for 2 years. We know the guy who checks the badges as we see him most days and say hello. Every day the badge is checked.

A couple of weeks ago he cleaned the car and put his badge on the passenger seat.

Bang..£70 quid fine for not displaying his badge.....

Drago

Legendary Member
In the early 00's BT accused me of knocking over a telegraph pole in Oldham with my Transit van, and gave my registration.

Except my registration was attached to my black Astra coupe. It took took the intervention of the supernintendo to convince BT that my reg number was a black Astra Coupe parked at the Northern Sector office car park park at the time of the incident, and not a white Transit van knocking down telegraph poles in the North West. Without him I'd have had to go to Court and try and convince a judge that a black Astra Coupe is not a white Transit van.

Sandra6

Veteran
Why did you park outside the lines though?
If you don't adhere to the parking conditions then you can expect to be fined. I always thought it was a "rule" that you had to be inside the lines.
That said, I think the best course of action is ringing the halfords store, tell them you got a fine (don't say exactly why) when you were in their store and you have a receipt to prove you were shopping, and they will make the fine go away. I've done it several times for customers. And for myself as it happens, Mr6 picked me up one evening after work and dropped me off again the following day. Parking eye decided the car had been parked there all night. Feckwits.
Slightly ot, but a friend recently had a huge rant on facebook about being given a parking ticket whilst at the park with his kids. He had parked, not paid for parking despite knowing it was a pay and display car park, and subsequently got fined. In his mind this justified calling the parking warden a "effing geriatric paedophile" - in front of his kids! Apparently it's quite unfair to be ticketed in such a way when you're just letting your kids play in the park.
I'm not sure why people get so agitated. If you don't want a ticket , don't park "illegally" Much like if you don't want a speeding ticket, don't speed.
We parked outside the bays at the metrocentre once, got a fine, so did everyone else who'd done it. We paid. Learned our lesson and didn't do it again.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Why did you park outside the lines though?

Because i need two spaces to swing the van in and out . Three i guess if you take into account the white line i was over . Thats why i park right over the other side of the car park where no one else really parks .

Top Bottom