Private car parking fines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a form to fill out if i want to not pay and counter claim .

Do you have a hearing date and time at a named county court?

If not, it sounds like the company has sent you a 'fake' or blank summons form as some are known to do as part of the chain of threatening letters.

If there is a named court and date, ring them to check the hearing is genuinely listed, or take the form to the court and ask them if it's kosher.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Do you have a hearing date and time at a named county court?

If not, it sounds like the company has sent you a 'fake' or blank summons form as some are known to do as part of the chain of threatening letters.

If there is a named court and date, ring them to check the hearing is genuinely listed, or take the form to the court and ask them if it's kosher.
Is there a penalty in law for imitating a court letter?

D

Deleted member 26715

I would imagine there is but I would also imagine that if you check the wording correctly it won't actually say that, it will be things like, we will be taking you to to court, the court will need, please fill in this questionnaire that you will intend to use in court etc.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

HM Courts Service looked into one of these letters to see if they breached any copyright they might have had on their official form.

Short answer was you can't easily copyright a few lines of text on a piece of paper.

Part of the problem is very few recipients have ever seen a genuine summons, so they have nothing to compare the fake one against.

Only sure answer is to wander down to the county court with the piece of paper and ask them if it's genuine.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This is the site i am directed to on the form . https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
I looked at a dot gov page and it does direct you to this page . Also the court number matches an online number .

But there's no hearing date and time at a specific court building?

All the info you've been given is a rehash of what's available in the public domain, so I'm still calling 'fake' on this one.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
The wife parked in a retail park, went to a shop then left the car park go somewhere else, on returning to the car she had a ticket for breaking the rules as stated on the sign "no parking and leaving to go somewhere else" an email to the shop she had purchased from got a response that the "car parking company had nothing to do with them" (Thanks Morrisons)

After a bit of searching on the internet we decided not to pay, we had several letters (one with a nice pic of the car parked) with the fine increasing and threats of court proceedings.

We ignored them all and eventually they stopped.

I realise the op has a court summons (if genuine) so his situation may be different.

I found this site very helpful.

http://www.pepipoo.com/

D

Deleted member 26715

But there's no hearing date and time at a specific court building?
This is small claims, they don't give you a date to start with as they will also expect you to go to mediation before actually setting a court date.

Just as a matter of interest who are they addressing all the letters to, the driver or the registered keeper, although you maybe one & the same, it does make a difference, their claim is against the driver, you are under no legal obligation to admit who was the driver, unless you already have. As I put above, rather than getting advise from a cycling forum, sign up for the legalbeagle forum, they do actually know the law, they will ask you for a redacted copy of what was sent to you, but they will give the the correct way forward.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
HM Courts Service looked into one of these letters to see if they breached any copyright they might have had on their official form.

Short answer was you can't easily copyright a few lines of text on a piece of paper.

Part of the problem is very few recipients have ever seen a genuine summons, so they have nothing to compare the fake one against.

Only sure answer is to wander down to the county court with the piece of paper and ask them if it's genuine.
It's not the copyright, as such, it's an attempted deception/pressure to pay etc

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just spoken to the court and i have until the 13th to reply . If the claimant decides to go ahead with their claim it will go to my local court for a hearing . This is insane !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just spoken to the court and i have until the 13th to reply . If the claimant decides to go ahead with their claim it will go to my local court for a hearing . This is insane !

My view, assuming you are happy to present your case in person, is you may as well sit tight and see if the claimant does push it to a hearing.

Although
Is all this stress and angst worth the £100?
is worth considering.

D

Deleted member 26715

Once it has been registered with Moneyclaim online, it won't go away without input, as to £100 is it worth it in my opinion yes, it's like being held against a wall by a bully & being told to hand over your dinner money, these scumbags should not be allowed to do it.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Once it has been registered with Moneyclaim online, it won't go away without input, as to £100 is it worth it in my opinion yes, it's like being held against a wall by a bully & being told to hand over your dinner money, these scumbags should not be allowed to do it.
I'm not sure why they are scumbags ? They presumably own the land and set the rules ? If you don't like the rules, don't park there, and if you do park there, don't break the rules ?

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm not sure why they are scumbags ? They presumably own the land and set the rules ? If you don't like the rules, don't park there, and if you do park there, don't break the rules ?
Because they often prey on the innocent, they claim they have rights when they don't, they use very bullying tactics to try to force people into paying, they are scum

Edit:- That is very far reaching, let's say most are scum

Top Bottom