Private car reg plate.....is there a way to check its history?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
We were discussing private plates today.
No offence intended :stop: but don’t understand why people pay for them.
Mr M thinks they are a waste of money but some of his family have them.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am with you on that.
I doubt my uncle would have had 'investment' in mind but that is what it has been.
My Bros wife bought him a plate for his birthday.....y44 sss....which looks good but its not for me.

screenman

Legendary Member

When you have everything else you may desire, or you may want a good investment. I have earned a few bob on them way back but was never clever enough to hang onto them. Not something I hanker after.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
That has the be the most valuable Renault traffic in the world.
As I said.....I saw it recently. It was on a very nice SUV.........definitely not a Renault Traffic**
** thats if I am right and a Traffic is a bog standard van.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
No offence intended :stop: but don’t understand why people pay for them

Me neither, especially when you consider that you are never the real owner and the plate can be withdrawn from use with no compensation to the user. So many of them are illegally displayed too, in relation to spacing etc., and it only takes three reports to DVLA and they can pull the plate. I don’t think many vanity plate users appreciate this.

screenman

Legendary Member
Me neither, especially when you consider that you are never the real owner and the plate can be withdrawn from use with no compensation to the user. So many of them are illegally displayed too, in relation to spacing etc., and it only takes three reports to DVLA and they can pull the plate. I don’t think many vanity plate users appreciate this.

I would imagine if somebody invested a lot of money (to us) in a plate they would know the rules, number plates have over many years continued to be a good investment, I bet you would have liked to have give a grand for that plate when the OP'S relative got rid of it. I was involved in the sale of 38F in 1974/5 we made £750 of it on a MK2 Consul I think, the plate is now valued at £115,000.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have 3 of them, all NI plates, ALZ xxxx, JLZ xxxx & ASZ xxxx all bought to put on cars to confused people about their age, only paid £30-50 each for them but from that site they all appear to be worth £650-1000

screenman

Legendary Member
I have 3 of them, all NI plates, ALZ xxxx, JLZ xxxx & ASZ xxxx all bought to put on cars to confused people about their age, only paid £30-50 each for them but from that site they all appear to be worth £650-1000

All Irish i guess.

Gunk

Guru
I still have an old-fashioned attitude to the vices of greed, vanity and so on, so I certainly wouldn't waste my money on a personalised reg. Also, why would I want to draw attention to myself?

Each to their own, I have a couple of older pre 1963 plates one from 1945 and one from 1953. I don’t think they’re vain or showy, I’ve just always been interested in them.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Even if I felt I could fritter away £X000 on a decent private plate, I would not do so.
I really can't understand why some people wish to make themselves so easily identifiable.
Damien Hurst knocks round these parts; last time I saw him he was driving an old Peugeot 407, which looked a bit of a beater. That's the way to slip under the radar.

Top Bottom