Privtisation of the roads - bad news for cyclists I think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually it can benefit in some ways - if done correctly

A proper design standard that is then met and inspected before opening the road before would be one way

al78

Guru
Looks from the Guardian article it will only apply to motorways and trunk roads, which cyclists don't use (or rarely in the case of trunk roads).

It would be interesting to know what would theoretically happen if the road network was fully privatized (like the rail network) and what the implication would be for road users.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hang on. If the Guardian is right in its opener, this isn't a privatisation - it's a sell-off to foreign governments and their sovereign wealth funds! Pension funds, the other suggestion, would be a natural investor, but regulation would need to change quite radically to enable them to do so.

My best guess is that it won't happen unless the bit of the proposal that bans road pricing is withdrawn.

dodgy

This story is just a distraction from the NHS debate.

But, if it does happen, cyclists might come out of it OK. My immediate reaction on hearing on BBC news that 'road tax' would be ring-fenced (something that hasn't happened in well over 70 years) to pay for roads was "oh god, we're going to be beaten to death by that". But, it might be an opportunity to clarify the position of cyclists on the road as legitimate road users despite the fact we don't have a piece of paper attached to our bikes.

Nah, it's probably just distraction from the NHS debate ;)

BSRU

A Human Being
So on these private roads, if the cars using it are zero rated for VED, how much will the private company get paid?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this could be cool. PFI for hospitals is a disaster because we need the hospitals. On the other hand we have more trunk roads than we need and, if the road company goes belly-up, they might have to sell stretches off for housing. I reckon a lot of young families would relish the prospect of a semi-detached on the M1.

Nosaj

The whole thing scares me and it has nothing to do with party politics. According to the Mail article these companies will not be able to charge a toll to use the existing infrastructure but can charge a toll on any areas that they improve or widen to ease congestion. What private company will invest anything in the existing infrastructure if they have no profit from it. The existing infrastructure will just crumble and decay and all we will be left with is one smooth lane with piggy banks at the side of the road every 500 yards and armed sentries to ensure we drop our pound in the collecting tin!

Privatisation has not improved the railways over the last 20 years or so, all I have seen is fares go up significantly and cleanliness and reliability drop significantly. My commute to work now takes just under an hour on the train alone. I used to be able to go from door to door in an hour only a few years ago.

I particularly liked the bit about water companies and how the govt would like to emulate that for the roads. So 10%+ hike in bills and no water in one place and loads in another and no way to get it from one place to another plus loads of leaks.The joy of of privatisation.

Top Bottom