Pro Lite Galileo Frame - Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JackJoff

Regular
I'm thinking of going for this, which looks like a good bargain. Has anyone got one, or know anything about the brand/this frame?
I'm planning on transferring all the kit from my current road bike (too big for me, about time I stopped just putting up with it and got a frame that fits I think!) which is an alu frame. Anything I need to change/consider when changing to a full carbon frame?

<edit: forgot to put the link in!>

I've no direct experience of that frame, but Pro-Lite generally has a good rep. If the frame fits and you can get it for £449 then it looks like a good price. BB type and seatpost sizes may differ, depending on the spec of your current frame..

Budget for some forks as well if you dont already have them, make sure you existing BB is the same as well

• 1 1/8" Integrated Headset (41.8 campy)
  • English-threaded Bottom Bracket shell
  • Replaceable Derailleur Hanger designed to break
    in a fall protecting the frame from severe damage.
  • Braze-on type Front Derailleur mount
  • External Brake Cable Routing
    (fitting secured with screw and glue)
  • Seat post Diameter: 27.2mm

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I have a Pro-Lite aluminium frame which is very good - they were producing 1000g alloy frames way before Cannondale etc. Mine is 7 years old and in perfect condition.

The only problems are that they also produce a load of crap - look at Pro-Lite Como wheels. I tried contacting the UK side for details - no reply. CRC also seem to put some very different prices on their frames without explaning the difference and don't really seem that interested in selling the stuff.

The whole set-up leaves me a little uneasy and I personally would look elsewhere.

OP
OP
J

JackJoff

Regular
Thanks for all your advice. A few more questions (I'm going to get a new frame, even if not this one so I need to know what to look for). I've thought about the seatpost (tick) and BB (trying to remember from when I changed the chainset but I think tick).
Braze-on type Front Derailleur mount
But braze on front mech.. what does that mean/imply? What's the alternative?
I have carbon forks on my current frame and was planning on using them. Will that work if the headsets are the same diameter?

Anyone else have any comments on CRC? I've never actually bought from them, but they often seem to have good deals on..

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
The bracket that clamps the front derailleur to the frame will be part of the frame,usually riveted on carbon.The option is clamp on,as it suggests,the bracket clamps to the tube of the frame.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
But braze on front mech.. what does that mean/imply? What's the alternative?

The front mech attaches to a "brazed" on piece in alloy frames (as opposed to band on brackets). On these you have to buy a separate little bracket which screws into the frame and acts as a brazed on bracket.

Good luck if you want to find out what bracket will fit - if you buy the frame make sure they supply you with one.

OP
OP
J

JackJoff

Regular
The front mech attaches to a "brazed" on piece in alloy frames (as opposed to band on brackets).
Hum. Well, I definitely have a clamp on (10 spd mirage).. It looks as though the clampy bit is fairly integral. Will this require a new front mech or is there a trick I'm missing? Bah.

OP
OP
J

JackJoff

Regular
  • English-threaded Bottom Bracket shell
Hm, turns out I also don't know how to tell which type of BB I have either.. Clues?

OP
OP
J

JackJoff

Regular
Tell us what your current frame is
It's an old Saracen Sestriere (2005?). I've got Campy ultratorque cups. I found a number written on it: 1.37x24 - the internet tells me this means it's English (hurrah!), does that sound right? I tried looking up the frame online to no avail..
Ok, so that looks like I'll need the frame, a front mech (what's the deal with putting an 11 spd front mech onto a 10 spd cassette/chain? Is it just a bit more trim sensitive due to being narrower?) and that's it. I'm very tempted..

OP
OP
J

JackJoff

Regular
JackJoff, did you end up ordering one of these frames? (I am also interested in one)
Yep, everything was fine (apart from removing my campy power torque cranks - honestly, never buying campy again, nightmare). It's a nice little frame, feels so much more responsive and fits me better. Think I got a decent deal. CRC was fine, swift delivery etc.

Top Bottom