Probably the worlds most stupid cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saw the perfect example of a possible Darwin award winner last night.

I caught up with a fellow going down a hill on my commute home last night, noticed that he was riding a cheap and nasty, two for £99 full susser with no lights so took some care not to go too near. Then realised his rear brakes were disconnected and to brake he was reaching back, grabbing one arm of his v-brake and shoving it against the wheel. He did this a couple of times then tried it again, unfortunately his expertise let him down and he must have shoved his fingers into the wheel, he let out a bit of a scream swerved into the kerb and went flying head first into the pavement.

I possibly should have checked he wasn't dead but to be honest was too busy laughing at the 'tard. Felt bad about it when i got home though...

Arch

Married to Night Train
That is an evolutionary stage further than the chavs round here with no brakes, who brake by dragging their feet (or knuckles?) along the road.

I've seen someone put their foot against the front tyre too...

mikeitup

Veteran
re

somekindofwizard said:
Saw the perfect example of a possible Darwin award winner last night.

I caught up with a fellow going down a hill on my commute home last night, noticed that he was riding a cheap and nasty, two for £99 full susser with no lights so took some care not to go too near. Then realised his rear brakes were disconnected and to brake he was reaching back, grabbing one arm of his v-brake and shoving it against the wheel. He did this a couple of times then tried it again, unfortunately his expertise let him down and he must have shoved his fingers into the wheel, he let out a bit of a scream swerved into the kerb and went flying head first into the pavement.

I possibly should have checked he wasn't dead but to be honest was too busy laughing at the 'tard. Felt bad about it when i got home though...

Superb!!!!!

What a tosser :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
excellent

even a numpty like me can keep the brakes in running order

full suspension and no brakes, outstanding

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I hope he was OK, at least he was trying.......

Not eberyone in the world can be as great and good as us lot.......

I'm waiting for the 'I was cycling home last night and when braking noticed that someone had sabotaged my back brake. :biggrin: If that wasn't enough, the fool trailing me ignored me completely and just before blacking out after hitting the kerb and taking to the air, I heard him laughing uncontrollably. Ba$tard. I wonder if he's reading this!' post. :biggrin:

Come on! Own up; who was it? :sad:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
That is an evolutionary stage further than the chavs round here with no brakes, who brake by dragging their feet (or knuckles?) along the road.

I've seen someone put their foot against the front tyre too...

i've seen two numpties on a mountain bike (between them iyswim) going down the really steep bit at the top of mow cop with a t-junction at the bottom employing that technique.

and bollocks to the idea that we are all somehow more enlightened as to keeping brakes maintained, what stops someone taking bike into lbd/halfords and asking them to fix them?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
and bollocks to the idea that we are all somehow more enlightened as to keeping brakes maintained, what stops someone taking bike into lbd/halfords and asking them to fix them?
The same that stops people doing anything to their motor save for an annual service, the same that stops the majority of cyclists in cambridge from ever oiling their chain, the same that means my gf still goes out in the rain wearing shoes with a hole in the sole.........

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Currently in Egypt and it seems the norm here are all single speed with no brakes except for the riders feet dragging along the road. I seem to be the only one with proper brakes here. Although it always amazing me how much the delivery guys can fit onto their rear baskets.

Tynan

Veteran
erm MOT every year for cars, rusty chain ain't going to kill anyone, ditto your doubtless lovely girlfriend's leaky shoe

as for Egypt, nice and flat?

Maz

Guru
Tynan said:
if you were doing 20mph downhill?

not sure I would under the circumstances
Well, like the OP said, he "took some care not to go too near", so he must've hung back a bit. Intuitively, I'd start to brake anyway if the rider in front of me fell off. Wouldn't be a big deal to go check on him.

Top Bottom