Problem Joining Chain (Pin type) - Single Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dansenior

Ive just bought a gusset bling slink chain, which has a joining pin to join the inner and outer together, the chain is a half link chain, and the problem Im having is that because the chain is greased up already (it came like this) that i cant keep it still long enough in my chain breaker/joiner to push the pin back through to join, and when it does, it doesnt go in straight, its as if i need another set of hands to complete the job, is there a certain knack of doing this?, im thinking of taking the chain to my LBS, but had another idea of super glueing the pin to one side of the chain, in the hole obviously and then it may be easier, im thinking that the glue residue would not be a problem as it would just wear off, anybody else got any ideas?.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Take the chain off the front chainring. Takes the tension out = easy to join.

Edit: I've just noticed the singlespeed bit. Presume you can get a chain back on but never owned a singlespeed.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Oldlegs said:
Take the chain off the front chainring. Takes the tension out = easy to join.

Edit: I've just noticed the singlespeed bit. Presume you can get a chain back on but never owned a singlespeed.

No, once the chain is on the chainring and sprocket, thats it, it cant be taken off.
:eek:

Seriously, either bring the wheel forward so it will be slack, or take the chain off the chainring/sprocket and it will be easier to join

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Have you pushed the joining pin all the way out? The correct method is to push it out enough that you can split the chain, but the pin still stays in one of the side plates (apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!).

Top Bottom