Problem With Brake Lever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zanelad

Guru
Hello All,

Hoping for some ideas as to what might be the cause of the rear brake lever getting very hard to pull on my grandson's bike.

I removed the cable and the lever moves freely. I checked the two washers and both are in good condition. The pivot bolt seems fine.

The inner cable moves smoothly within the outer and when pulled by hand the rear brake works. Pop the cable back into place and the lever barely moves.

I'm tempted to buy a new lever, it's a Ridgeback bike with Tektro brakes. Before I shell out the money, I thought that I'd ask the panel if they have any suggestions.

I did ask the boy if he'd dropped the bike, but he says no. Not sure if that's the truth, but there doesn't appear to be any damage. He loves the bike and takes good care of it.

Thanks in anticipation, Z.

jay clock

Massive member
If the lever works ok without a cable in, replacing it seems an odd solution

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the lever and the Caliper can be operated by hand without issue then it can s only be the cable. Is the run smooth without any sharp bends? Did you grease the cable? Are they side pull brakes?
A photo of the installation might be useful.

OP
OP
Z

Zanelad

Guru
The rear brake caliper is fine when squeezed together, or if the cable is pulled by hand. I was wondering if the lever body might have been twisted out of alignment and it's only when the lever is under tension from the cable. I'm clutching at straws to be honest.

Gunk

Guru
I know some hate the idea of greasing the inner cable but I’ve solved this problem before but removing the inner cable cleaning it with wire wool and the pulling it through a greased rag so I just give it a very light covering, 3 in 1 oil also works. Just also make sure that the outer cable isn’t kinked, often they kink by the levers or down by the caliper, especially the rear.

OP
OP
Z

Zanelad

Guru
An update. It was a dodgy inner cable. I removed it and apllied a few drops of oil down the outer. It was better, bu still sticky. A new inner fitted and all was hunky dory.

I gave the bike a washdown, lubed the chain and raised the handlebars and he should get the summer out of it. He'll need a new one for next year. Let's hope that the shops are open by then.

jay clock

Massive member
An update. It was a dodgy inner cable. I removed it and apllied a few drops of oil down the outer. It was better, bu still sticky. A new inner fitted and all was hunky dory.

I gave the bike a washdown, lubed the chain and raised the handlebars and he should get the summer out of it. He'll need a new one for next year. Let's hope that the shops are open by then.
great news

Top Bottom