Problem with drive side crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B_A_Brackers

Regular
Can anyone help me. Got a specialized mtb the other month. Long story short the stock crank and chainring a were shoot. Threaded my crank removal tool on the drive side perfectly no probs. attached my wrench and started to tighten the tool to remove the crank as normal. Got to the point where the crank should have pushed off as felt the usual resistance. Turns out something went wrong. Pushed the crank tool out instead of moving the actual crank and now the crank tool is stuck in cross threaded, tore up the threading and can't get the crank off. It's the drive side. Any ideas how I can get this piece if shoot off and get my new crank on. It's a standard square taper.

You forgot to take the washer out. Big mistake. You can attempt to force a 3-arm pulley puller in there but with the crank's usual 5-arm spider, most pullers won't fit. Cyclus makes a tool to fix the problem but I doubt the average bike shop has one.

You've just paid school fees. Phone around and find out what bike mechanic in your area can help.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
You forgot to take the washer out. Big mistake. You can attempt to force a 3-arm pulley puller in there but with the crank's usual 5-arm spider, most pullers won't fit. Cyclus makes a tool to fix the problem but I doubt the average bike shop has one.

You've just paid school fees. Phone around and find out what bike mechanic in your area can help.

That's about the size of it.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Pushed the crank tool out instead of moving the actual crank and now the crank tool is stuck in cross threaded, tore up the threading and can't get the crank off. It's the drive side.

So the large diameter part of the crank remover is still in the crank, cross threaded, and struck. The small diameter part of the crank remover has stripped its threads and parted company with the large diameter part.

Am I understanding that right?

Tim Hall

A 'tuning fork' style splitter as used on car suspension may do the trick. Insert the prongs between the crank and bike frame. Twat it with a big hammer and cross fingers.

Such tools used to be available for hire from local car part shops back in the day.

A 'tuning fork' style splitter as used on car suspension may do the trick. Insert the prongs between the crank and bike frame. Twat it with a big hammer and cross fingers.

Such tools used to be available for hire from local car part shops back in the day.
I have a nice one of those in my box of least-used tools and I quickly did a check. The total width of the two blades is more than the available gap on my crank. These things are quite beefy.

A pulley puller may work, the problem is the incompatibility of the 5-arm spider on a crank and the puller's three arms. A two-arm puller comes up with the same problem. Rough treatment of the tool or removing one of the spider legs may do the job.

I have a nice one of those in my box of least-used tools and I quickly did a check. The total width of the two blades is more than the available gap on my crank. These things are quite beefy.

A pulley puller may work, the problem is the incompatibility of the 5-arm spider on a crank and the puller's three arms. A two-arm puller comes up with the same problem. Rough treatment of the tool or removing one of the spider legs may do the job.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If the crank is shot I'd suggest removing the crank puller (just unscrew it using the big flat that screws it on) then warm the (knackered) crank and use a drift/chisel and a hammer and belt it off from the inside. This may damage the BB but by the sounds of it you do not have many options left :cursing:
Sometimes we all have to fall back on a bit of brute force and ignorance. :whistle:

Top Bottom