Problem with my big ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Yes.:-) The chain needs to be the right length to keep it all taut. Big ring to big ring plus one link is the simplest formula
crap. I'm rubbish at opening power links. Should I just break it and stick another one in?

It's all very simple.

Put the bike in a stand or suspend it from a pair of sky hooks.
Undo the cable at the mech cable pinch bolt.
With the chain off the bike adjust the position of the mech on the seat tube (up/down - rotationally) so that the outer cage plate is 100% parallel with the rings and just clears the top of the tallest big ring teeth by 1 to 2mm.
Fit the chain, run it through the mech and with the chain on the smallest ring and largest sprocketAdjust the inner mech limit screw until the inner cage plate clears the chain by 1mm.
Screw the cable/lever barrel adjuster in all the way and then out one and a half turns.
Set the gear shift lever to its small ring position.
After checking that it runs freely from shifter to mech set the cable under the pinch bolt, then pull the cable hand tight and tighten the mech cable pinch bolt.
Turn the pedals and move the shift lever into its big ring position. If it doesn't go you need to work out if it's lack of cable tention or the outer set screw which is preventing it from moving. It coukld be a combination of both. So back the set screw out of the way. Turn the pedals whilst slowly unscrewing the cable adjuster until it shifts up and then screw in the outer set screw until the inner face of the outer cage plate clears the chain by 1mm.
This is the time to perform some really brutal shifts in an effort to unship the chain. Really mash the pedals around and yank on the shifter up and down heard several times. If you've followed the above instructions to the letter it shouldn't fall off.

Fit a cable end cap.
Go for a bike ride.

Top Bottom