Problem with my nuts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I have a CX bike that I use as a commuter. My commute includes a lot of off-road riding on very rough terrain. I do some of this at speed. The constant vibration is starting to take its toll. Not long after I had the bike the water bottle riv-nuts came loose. I tightened them into the frame and all was well. However they have worked loose again. I can nip them up again of course but that can't work for ever. Do I give up on frame mounted bottles or are other solutions possible? I carry my puncture kit in one bottle position and the other I use for a drink.

The vibration wrote off a cheap light this week too. Hopefully my new Moon Nebula will prove more robust.

Red17

Veteran
Could try a medium strength threadlock on the bolts

PpPete

Legendary Member
If the riv-nuts are very loose you can sometimes get a bit of super-glue behind the flange before tightening them up again.
That should give you a bit longer.
Utimately though they will fail, so depending on the design of your cages you may be able to fettle some re-inforcement with a velcro strap.
When they do finally let go, you can fish the bits out, borrow the proper tool, and put in new and better quality rivnuts.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Blue loctite. The stick version (like lip balm) is best. Allow 24hrs between application and riding.

Top Bottom