Problem with my nuts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I have a CX bike that I use as a commuter. My commute includes a lot of off-road riding on very rough terrain. I do some of this at speed. The constant vibration is starting to take its toll. Not long after I had the bike the water bottle riv-nuts came loose. I tightened them into the frame and all was well. However they have worked loose again. I can nip them up again of course but that can't work for ever. Do I give up on frame mounted bottles or are other solutions possible? I carry my puncture kit in one bottle position and the other I use for a drink.

The vibration wrote off a cheap light this week too. Hopefully my new Moon Nebula will prove more robust.

Red17

Veteran
Could try a medium strength threadlock on the bolts

PpPete

Legendary Member
If the riv-nuts are very loose you can sometimes get a bit of super-glue behind the flange before tightening them up again.
That should give you a bit longer.
Utimately though they will fail, so depending on the design of your cages you may be able to fettle some re-inforcement with a velcro strap.
When they do finally let go, you can fish the bits out, borrow the proper tool, and put in new and better quality rivnuts.

Top Bottom