Problem with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chas.s

I've just replaced the MTB tyres on my Rockhopper with a set of the above, as I only use it either on the road or cycle ways. I had them fitted by my local Halfords store (yesterday) and was not very happy that both wheels appear to 'wobble' when in motion. I took the bike back to them today and they say that they are unable to get the tyres seated properly. Does anyone have any advice please? Is this a common occurrence with these tyres? Thanks.

Old jon

Guru
Your problem is with your local Halfords. Or, very much a maybe, the rims are too wide for the tyres.

OP
OP
chas.s

chas.s

My old MTB tyres were 26”x 1.90 and the new ones are 26” x 1.75, that shouldn’t be the problem, would it?
Also do you mean that Halfords are not capable of fitting them properly?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have the same with one of my Marathons on my Brompton. It’s simply not ‘round’.
Marathons are notoriously difficult to get on some rims however.
Ask if they can fit another brand or marathons from another batch and see if they fit OK.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Also do you mean that Halfords are not capable of fitting them properly?

That is entirely possible. They fitted new disc pads to my bike while I was getting other work done and the - I hesitate to credit him with the title of - mechanic failed to install the retaining split pin on the front caliper. One of the pads fell out as I tried to brake at a junction and I glided across the stop line as the other traffic got a green light. They also 'lost' the bleed nipple covers.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I’ll try my best to describe what I mean..
Once the tyre is on the rim, half inflate it then pinch the tyre walls firmly with your fingers whilst giving it a wiggle side to side and pulling it and pushing it in and out of the rim (with me so far?)
Do this all the way round the wheel, then fully inflate.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
T ake them off totally and put them back on yourself. You will probably find the problem is solved.

robgul

Legendary Member
Two comments:
1 as suggested they may not be perfectly round - I had a pair of 20" Marthaons (on a Dahon folder) that were not round and made the bike ride like a clown's bike (the supplier exchanged them)

2 Do you have the tyres pumped up hard enough? - if you're used to MTB tyres they normally run at much lower pressure than Marathons (and if in doubt about the bead seating in the rim pump the tyre to about 15% more than the recommended max pressure and then let it right down and reinflate to the correct pressure)

Rob

raleighnut

Legendary Member
T ake them off totally and put them back on yourself. You will probably find the problem is solved.
No need to take them off though, simply deflate and give em a bit of Talcum powder around the inside of the rim (between the rim and tyre) then partly inflate and work em into position on the rim with yer thumbs before fully inflating.

Is the valve preventing proper seating of the tyre? Deflate, push the valve into the hole in the rim, squeeze the tyre, pull the valve out again.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've seen Marathons with broken or bent beads, but not M+. If a tyre is a loose fit on the rim it may need a bit of manipulation with very low pressure in the tube to seat it evenly before it is fully inflated. This is common with big MTB tyres.

ozboz

Guru
If both are wobbling it would point toward bad fitting , some of the staff at Halfords are not to knowledgeable or well trained , I bought some tyres from Evans for my GF’s bike, Kenda’s , fitted them myself , they would not sit right at first , so I took the wheels off and deflated them to half pressure and bounced them on the floor whilst rotating continually until the tyres bedded into the rims that was about 3 months ago and no problems since ,

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I had a similar problem with one of my Gatorskins after I had a puncture and put it back on . Tried pretty much all of the above suggestions and in the end what worked for me was deflating the tyre to almost flat and then riding the bike a few metres . I then put some water with washing up liquid in around the rims before inflating the tyre pretty much to as high a pressure as I could . The tyre actually cracked into place (some on here said this would happen but it still made me jump :laugh: ) and then I deflated it to the correct pressure .
Good luck

Top Bottom