Problems running a Bkool trainer with Zwift's new Workout mode.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

borchgrevink

Not from Bkool or Zwift - but Trainerroad say they have identified a firmware issue on the Bkool units and are working with Bkool on a fix - so it seems it's down to Bkool to get an update out, not the various simulators. The comments here appear to be the most up-to-date source:

http://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201697324-Bkool-Electronic-Trainers?page=3#comments

Will this fix also apply to the normal Bkool software reading too high watts in climbs?

Leodis

Veteran
I hope this firmware update is rolled out soon, I am using workout mode out of ERG mode due to it. This hopefully should fix the delay problem Bkool have as well.

davidbrown04

Yeah I sent them a message today and they just said any trainer that is paid of in full can be upgraded to 3.06 and fe-c and then will work with any software... Obviously not true as I'm still paying monthly for my trainer and it has the fe-c firmware :sad:

davidbrown04

I know :smile: but Bkools response suggests that they don't know of any issues as I asked when the new firmware was being released and they avoided the question.

OP
OP
g00se

g00se

Veteran
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Just to be clear, If i want to use workout mode i need to run bkool in Zwift without resistance control? that is outside of erg mode?

OP
OP
g00se

g00se

Veteran
Sort of, by turning ERG mode off, the unit will not adjust the resistance to try and match the demanded power. However, it will still set a resistance which can be adjusted by the phone app if needed (if you can't just hit the right cadence with your bike's gearing). Also, it will not change the resistance for hills - you'll just slow down to match the power you're putting out. This is really handy for workouts.

To be honest, even when it's fixed, I'll be turning ERG off on some workouts. Where there are short, sharp, high-power sprints (say, 10-second efforts), using gears and changing up early can be more immediate than waiting for the power to stabilise in ERG mode. it usually takes three of four seconds to get there and by then, half the section is run and you fail the interval

bobinski

Legendary Member
Sort of, by turning ERG mode off, the unit will not adjust the resistance to try and match the demanded power. However, it will still set a resistance which can be adjusted by the phone app if needed (if you can't just hit the right cadence with your bike's gearing). Also, it will not change the resistance for hills - you'll just slow down to match the power you're putting out. This is really handy for workouts.

To be honest, even when it's fixed, I'll be turning ERG off on some workouts. Where there are short, sharp, high-power sprints (say, 10-second efforts), using gears and changing up early can be more immediate than waiting for the power to stabilise in ERG mode. it usually takes three of four seconds to get there and by then, half the section is run and you fail the interval

ok, I think i understand that:whistle:

best thing is I give it a go tonight and see what happens!
cheers g00se

Top Bottom