Prodigy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mini D is 9, and i consider myself blessed to have a very bright, polite, well behaved little girl, who loves her Dad.

She's very switched on. She excells at school, and is a multi instrumentalist. I show her how to play something on guitar, bass or keyboard and she gets it immediately. Ok, it may take her time to perfect the technique to go with that, but she grasps the fundamentals immediately without repeat explanation.

This morning the subject of eduction came up. Mrs D is just finishing her honours course and was wondering what to do next. I suggested do a science based Masters like wot I did, but she reckons her maths skills aren't good enough.

Mini D hears us talking about maths and says, "I know Pi", and then trots out dozens of numbers. Mrs D and I pause and look at one another, then i grab my tablet and find Pi. I then ask Mini D to say it again slowly.

And slap my thighs and call me Roger, she only knows Pi to 100 decimal places without a single error. Absolutely astonished, I asked her how she knew this - "I read it on the internet." Further questionjng shows that she only read it once.

Mrs D and i are both stunned. We don't want to make a big deal out of this in front of her, but clearly she has some immense talent and seems well adjusted to it. Were going to keep a quiet eye on her, see how she carries on, see if we can channel this in any way that might help her in adulthood. No hasty decisions, we're just gobsmacked at this sudden realisation and we're going to go very softly with it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
She seems to have a photographic memory. It should serve her well in her education and her future profession. A very gifted girl. :notworthy:

She seems to have a photographic memory. It should serve her well in her education and her future profession. A very gifted girl. :notworthy:

My daughter's fairly good in that area too
Eg; she got a new desktop PC a couple of months ago, & put in the wi-fi id & pin numbers off the top of her head
After 4 years, I still have to look at my iphone to know my own number:blush:
(or is that a generational thing?)

Mini D is 9, and i consider myself blessed to have a very bright, polite, well behaved little girl, who loves her Dad.

She's very switched on. She excells at school, and is a multi instrumentalist. I show her how to play something on guitar, bass or keyboard and she gets it immediately. Ok, it may take her time to perfect the technique to go with that, but she grasps the fundamentals immediately without repeat explanation.

This morning the subject of eduction came up. Mrs D is just finishing her honours course and was wondering what to do next. I suggested do a science based Masters like wot I did, but she reckons her maths skills aren't good enough.

Mini D hears us talking about maths and says, "I know Pi", and then trots out dozens of numbers. Mrs D and I pause and look at one another, then i grab my tablet and find Pi. I then ask Mini D to say it again slowly.

And slap my thighs and call me Roger, she only knows Pi to 100 decimal places without a single error. Absolutely astonished, I asked her how she knew this - "I read it on the internet." Further questionjng shows that she only read it once.

Mrs D and i are both stunned. We don't want to make a big deal out of this in front of her, but clearly she has some immense talent and seems well adjusted to it. Were going to keep a quiet eye on her, see how she carries on, see if we can channel this in any way that might help her in adulthood. No hasty decisions, we're just gobsmacked at this sudden realisation and we're going to go very softly with it.

If she/the school/... Is interested (in maths) the primary maths challenge could be good for her:
http://www.primarymathschallenge.org.uk
It's essentially a precursor to the ukmt stuff
www.ukmt.org.uk

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I learnt pi to 100 places around same age. But I didn’t just look at it once. It took a few recitals over a week to nail it.

I can still recall about half if it, assuming no mistakes below.

I used to learn it in blocks of five so

3.14159 then 26535 then 89793 etc.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I learnt pi to 100 places around same age. But I didn’t just look at it once. It took a few recitals over a week to nail it.

I can still recall about half if it, assuming no mistakes below.

I used to learn it in blocks of five so

3.14159 then 26535 then 89793 etc.
Err - 22/7 for me :wacko:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've watched a couple of excellent documentaries about the history / development of Music. Fascinating to find out about the mathematical patterns that structure the music and see and hear the similarities between music from Mozart to the Beatles being demonstrated.

I think there's also that left brain/right brain observation about Art/Music/mathematically gifted people.

In the words of the late great Ian Drury "There ain't half been some clever bastards"

Top Bottom