Product Design Student requires some help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Cledwyn

Regular
While a possibility, and has already been done in various guises, the drawback for commuting (for me) would be being too wide the filter past all the static cars stuck in thier traffic jam.

The main things that influence any variances in my journey time are my general wellbeing or the wind. Other traffic levels are not really a significant factor. If I had a wider HPV this would no longer be the case. Not only would I be held up in places, but I would imagine that there would also be places that I would be a major irritation for other road users who would be stuck behind me.

Thank you for a useful post.

OP
OP
C

Cledwyn

Regular
Redesign the bike?
You can't even design a simple survey that gets you some decent new ideas.
How many gears, which of the well-known braking systems, FFS...

What's wrong with wanting to know how many gears people like and what brakes they want?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
At work so not done the survey yet but picking up on the comments.

I assume theres some benefit expleained in the syrvey that you perceive from a multi person bike , though for the lie of me I can't think of it outside of a courting couple novelty.

Does a land pedelo take a lot of designing? & once you've got 2 people sat side by side, then someone else will come along and suggest a couple of seats behind for the kids and a then bit of space to put some shopping and maybe a roof and windows to keep the rain off and cos its got a bit heavy by now an engine (link to the electric bike thread) to make hills easier and then a bigger engine to go longer distances and then someone will rename it a car.

I know its not really design but please ALL design students, stop tinkering with a perfectly good model that has stood over a century of actual use and basically remained the same BECAUSE IT WORKS AS IT IS and have a bit of a look at design of our urban spaces and transport routes to make for nicer infrastructure and address the real barriers to cycling. Shame the urban/road planner lot into doing their job properly.

OP
OP
C

Cledwyn

Regular
Does a land pedelo take a lot of designing? & once you've got 2 people sat side by side, then someone else will come along and suggest a couple of seats behind for the kids and a then bit of space to put some shopping and maybe a roof and windows to keep the rain off and cos its got a bit heavy by now an engine (link to the electric bike thread) to make hills easier and then a bigger engine to go longer distances and then someone will rename it a car.

This is one trail of thought I have been thinking of.

My initial idea is a bicycle (trike) with 3 wheels, 2 at the rear fairly close together. This means it will stand on its own when stationary. The wheels will be angled (like racing wheelchairs) for stability. I want to make it no wider than the standard width of mountain bike handlebars. I appreciate in an ideal world it would be even narrower but I'll have to wait and see if its possible. The riding position will be a recumbent position. To maximise efficiency. It will have a fully enclosed shell similar to land speed record bicycles with built in lights etc. This is for weather protection. I will also look into electric motor assistance.

Feel free to tear this idea apart.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well done.
You have invented the velomobile, which has existed for nearly a century.
If you can't be arsed to do any research, why the hell should we do it for you?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What's wrong with wanting to know how many gears people like and what brakes they want?
It's hardly redesigning anything, now is it?
The main reason than no-one has significantly redesigned the bike is that it's near-as-dammit perfect. Doesn't stop any number of students thinking they can do so and failing to even ask any relevant questions, let alone imaginative ones.

deanE

Northampton University? I worked there for nearly 20 years. I remember a bus station and a market square, and the only “Royal" Theatre, but that’s about all.

Davidc

Guru
As I don't commute I can't complete it. There are plenty of other uses for bikes including general transport and shopping as well!

Basically bikes don't need a significant redesign, and there are new components ready to replace some of the less good ones.

Top Bottom