Professional CV Writing

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

@Moderators if the wrong place please move wasn't sure of the best place.

I'm getting more disillusioned with the company I am working for, my morals & ethics seem to be at odds with most of the rest of the senior management, at 57 I feel that if I don't move soon my already limited routes will be further blocked due to age. I haven't needed a CV for over 20 years, it's been a mixture of knowing my new company I've gone to or a spell of self employment.

Has anybody used one & has a recommendation, I'm based around Sheffield but the writer doesn't need to be close as it appears to all be done via phone these days, I have found one online with good reviews but a personal recommendation would be good.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have never used one but years ago I had to interview people for a position in a bank. There were dozens of applications I had to wade through. Mostly on A4 white paper, all very much the same. It was mind numbingly boring.

All those who had used a bit of flair with their CVs got to the interview stage.

I wouldn't bother getting anyone to do it for you. Keep it concise, clear and for the love of all things Apple, check the flippin spelling.

I have found more important is a well written, tailored covering letter as to why you are applying for the role. Getting that right is the best way to get an interview with me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Agree with Marky, particularly about the spelling.

The timeline should also be done in reverse order - most recent first - because where you went to school and your first job is of limited interest 40 years later.

In the days of paper, it was said the CV should fit on one side of A4 because no one can be bothered to turn a page or pick up another one.

Submitting a CV online or via email is a little different, but I reckon one side of A4 is still a good guide as to length.

An application form would give a bit more leeway, but I would still bear KISS very much in mind - keep it short and simple.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My wife spell checked and looked at the grammar on a so called pro cv when i decided to leave self employment.
She picked out lots of mistakes..but then she does know her favourite subject

Levo-Lon

Guru
I wouldn't bother getting anyone to do it for you. Keep it concise, clear and for the love of all things Apple, check the flippin spelling.

I have found more important is a well written, tailored covering letter as to why you are applying for the role. Getting that right is the best way to get an interview with me.

I used to give them a shovel on a job and see what happened..you can find out a lot when you do that.
I'm so glad i dont have to pick a new worker these days as you have a job to get shut if they turn out to be a dud.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m sure you could do a good job yourself. Have a look at a few others online to get some ideas. Check the spelling and don’t use jargon.

stephec

Legendary Member
I’m sure you could do a good job yourself. Have a look at a few others online to get some ideas. Check the spelling and don’t use jargon.

Not even a bit of thinking out of the box?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Dear Markymark

I worship the God of Money.

Yours

Spokey

(Please keep this on file until you get a position free and I'll nip down and have a chat with you.)

alicat

Legendary Member
The money would be better spent on some books about job hunting in the current market or even a career coach if you can rise to it. Go have a poke around your nearest WH Smiths or Waterstones and see what books grab you.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you're already in senior management you'll be able to tell your own story better than anyone else. That's what a CV is - a story which tells someone why they want to talk to you. You'll also have contacts who are literate and trustworthy and be able to give you honest advice.

And if you're not on LinkedIn - why not?

Top Bottom