1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professional CV Writing

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Phaeton, 14 Nov 2017.

1. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

@Moderators if the wrong place please move wasn't sure of the best place.

I'm getting more disillusioned with the company I am working for, my morals & ethics seem to be at odds with most of the rest of the senior management, at 57 I feel that if I don't move soon my already limited routes will be further blocked due to age. I haven't needed a CV for over 20 years, it's been a mixture of knowing my new company I've gone to or a spell of self employment.

Has anybody used one & has a recommendation, I'm based around Sheffield but the writer doesn't need to be close as it appears to all be done via phone these days, I have found one online with good reviews but a personal recommendation would be good.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I have never used one but years ago I had to interview people for a position in a bank. There were dozens of applications I had to wade through. Mostly on A4 white paper, all very much the same. It was mind numbingly boring.

All those who had used a bit of flair with their CVs got to the interview stage.

3. Spinney

Spinney Work-avoider & tea drinker ! Staff Member

There's probably plenty of people on here who could help you with it, @Phaeton.

If you do ask on here for help, the Personal Matters forum would be best for that, just because personal details would be involved.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I wouldn't bother getting anyone to do it for you. Keep it concise, clear and for the love of all things Apple, check the flippin spelling.

I have found more important is a well written, tailored covering letter as to why you are applying for the role. Getting that right is the best way to get an interview with me.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Agree with Marky, particularly about the spelling.

The timeline should also be done in reverse order - most recent first - because where you went to school and your first job is of limited interest 40 years later.

In the days of paper, it was said the CV should fit on one side of A4 because no one can be bothered to turn a page or pick up another one.

Submitting a CV online or via email is a little different, but I reckon one side of A4 is still a good guide as to length.

An application form would give a bit more leeway, but I would still bear KISS very much in mind - keep it short and simple.

6. meta lon

meta lon Guru

My wife spell checked and looked at the grammar on a so called pro cv when i decided to leave self employment.
    She picked out lots of mistakes..but then she does know her favourite subject

• Like Like x 2
  7. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

This.

Keep the CV short and sweet. That said, it will depend on what your background is as to the level of detail required. Some professional and academic CVs will be much more detailed.

The cover letter is key. Make sure it addresses the key requirements of the post and explains how you meet them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. meta lon

meta lon Guru

I used to give them a shovel on a job and see what happened..you can find out a lot when you do that.
    I'm so glad i dont have to pick a new worker these days as you have a job to get shut if they turn out to be a dud.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

I’m sure you could do a good job yourself. Have a look at a few others online to get some ideas. Check the spelling and don’t use jargon.

10. stephec

stephec Legendary Member

Not even a bit of thinking out of the box?

• Like Like x 1
  11. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 61 T-8: old body, head still feels the same. Staff Member

Dear Markymark

I worship the God of Money.

Yours

Spokey

(Please keep this on file until you get a position free and I'll nip down and have a chat with you.)

• Like Like x 3
  12. You're hired. The hours are what my whim dictates and your pay is basking in the aura of my awesomeness.

• Like Like x 7
  13. alicat

alicat Guru

The money would be better spent on some books about job hunting in the current market or even a career coach if you can rise to it. Go have a poke around your nearest WH Smiths or Waterstones and see what books grab you.

14. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

I think you're supposed to motivate him.....

• Like Like x 2
  15. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

Isn’t he supposed to pay you for the honour of basking in your aura of awesomeness?

• Like Like x 2