Profuse Sweating.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
When I cycle to work and climb the big hills, I sweat bucket loads.

I've been doing the commute for over three months and my fitness levels have gone through the roof (BP down, heart rate well down, muscles are stronger, weight is dropping). I've cut seven minutes off my commute time in the last month.

But I still sweat just as much as I did on day one. It's not so bad in the mornings when it's cooler, but I am literally dripping when I get home, especially if the temperature is above 20c.

Some days, I struggle to see with the sweat running off my forehead and into my eyes.

Is this normal?

Each person is different. In the band, I'd be a mite warm, the drummer warmer still, and the front man rusted out a set of strings every gig.
Some people glow nicely, others melt!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Everyone one is different. I emit very little sweat yet a fellow commuter friend of mine sweats profusely and he's more bike fitter and faster than me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I've been doing the commute for over three months and my fitness levels have gone through the roof (BP down, heart rate well down, muscles are stronger, weight is dropping). I've cut seven minutes off my commute time in the last month.

But I still sweat just as much as I did on day one. It's not so bad in the mornings when it's cooler, but I am literally dripping when I get home, especially if the temperature is above 20c.

Some days, I struggle to see with the sweat running off my forehead and into my eyes.

Is this normal?
When I was very overweight, I did a hilly 100-odd km ride on a very warm day. I drank 4 litres of fluids and lost 3 kgs on the ride so that meant I sweated/peed out at least 7 litres!

Years later, and much lighter, I would drink more like 2 litres and lose less than 1 kg on the same ride, so that is less than half the fluid losses.

As you lose more weight and get even fitter you will probably experience the same kind of changes.

Is this normal?

Everyone is different. I sweat more than most. Today I've been out in shorts and short sleeves and arm warmers and I've seen people out in jackets and longs and gloves - people have different preferences.

You're not over dressed are you ?

Nothing to worry about either way.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If you're fit, you're likely to sweat more than when you were unfit. If you're pushing yourself on most commutes, you're body gets better at regulating core temperature - i.e. you sweat quicker and more profusely.

Look at 100m runners. They sweat buckets after a 10 second sprint.

When I was at peak fitness, I recall getting globules of forehead sweat after walking a flight of stairs at work.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Is this normal?

Yes, this is entirely normal*

A suggestion that riding without a helmet makes mopping the brow easier. Or if you really want a lid, wearing a casquette beneath stops the rivers of sweat.

*based on a careful observational study of one individual who sweats so much their cycling gloves at the top of a climb can be absolutely soaked to the point of being wrung out and producing a torrent of liquid. **

**I think you can guess who this individual might be.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I only have to look at the bike and I start sweating, so don't worry.

boydj

Legendary Member
If you are working just as hard as day one, then you'll sweat just as much. As you get fitter, your body gets more efficient and this includes its cooling mechanism.

Is this normal?
Touchwood I'm fitter than I've ever been but I sweat more than I ever done. I wouldn't worry. With me hopefully its a sign that I'm more efficiently using fluid naturally, whereas previously and unnaturally it was causing me to bloat.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've always perspired heavily during exercise, fitness levels don't seem to have made a difference to me. It can take 20 minutes for me to stop sweating after a 10 mile ride unless it is cold outside or I go too slowly.

Years and years ago someone told me I was unfit for sweating more than them, but yep I think folk just vary.
OP re your eyes I assume you use a headband.
Tech material is best - if you hang the band over your bars at stops it will shed quite a bit of moisture - a tradit towelling one won't.
I think it's also a good idea to use a quality base layer (Aldi merino fine) even in pretty warm weather if you sweat much at all - helps to regulate your temperature and avoids chills if the temperature drops or you head for and then descend mountains etc.

Top Bottom