Project Bike #1 - Apollo Equipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfella

Über Member
How did you fit that stem with the forks? Did you need something to extend the forks as such? I am doing something similar you see.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bigfella said:
How did you fit that stem with the forks? Did you need something to extend the forks as such? I am doing something similar you see.

You get an adapter that allows you to use one of those stems with that headset.

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

bigfella said:

i used a quill stem to 1 1/8" adapter. i would advise not going for the cheapest, as it weighs a tonne... :tongue: still, only cost £12. i got mine off the bay, and had a choice of silver or black.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bigfella said:
Would you recommend going for carbon forks if you can afford it?

Sure, if you can afford them.
But they might not look that good on the bike i think. Wont suit the frame.

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

bigfella said:
Would you recommend going for carbon forks if you can afford it?

depends if you want to swallow the cost. i've been thinking about it myself, so have been watching 1" threadless forks on the bay. (you'd convert to threadless at the same time). the two most common are a set by deda, or itm. both are in the range of £40-60. then you will need a 1" threadless headset, 1" starnut (assuming the forks have a metal steerer - the use of a clamp is recommended if they have a carbon one) and either a 1" stem, or a normal (1 1/8") stem and a shim that adds the extra 1/8" (a couple of ITM stems i have came with a shim for just this purpose).

untill i put this bike together, it had been a very looooong time since i'd ridden steel. i'd forgotten how springy and pliant it is. maybe a little too springy. a set of carbon forks combined with a steel frame would seem to be a good trade off of the benefits of both.

if you do buy one, remember to be careful of clearances if you have a front guard!

Tel

Veteran
Obviously check the steerer tube length of your new forks, your frame is rather large and you need plenty sticking out the top too.

bigfella

Über Member
Thats what I thought, I'm going to measure up tonight. I might be getting another frame so will only purchase the forks if over 20cm steerer tube length I think.

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

bigfella said:
Excellent, thanks, I now have a shopping list. I will be going down the carbon route.

no problem. you need to post pix of the build when you do it! :rofl:

Tel

Veteran
zzpza said:
i used a quill stem to 1 1/8" adapter. i would advise not going for the cheapest, as it weighs a tonne... :evil: still, only cost £12. i got mine off the bay, and had a choice of silver or black.

Can you link to the one that you think is better?

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

Tel said:
Can you link to the one that you think is better?

well, i can't see any for sale from the UK at the moment, but this is the sort of thing i had in mind:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370194740663

it's alloy, my cheapo one is steel (and you can really tell by the weight!). i'd wait for there to be a similar one for sale from the UK so P&P is more sensible, or see if you can find a similar one outside eBay.

Top Bottom