Project Bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Misura

I usually wouldnt be found lurking on a cycling site, i wouldnt of ever thought of it until today! Ive actually came back to the cycling scene after a few years out!

But about me and what my goal is:-

The names Jay, 23 years of age and currently living in Liverpool, and after almost 5 years in the Army i decided enough was enough, so i packed my bags and became a "Civvy" as we called them, life was good for a few months, working full time as a HGV class 1 driver (Containers). Anyway, i thought all was good untill those dreaded scales started dropping hints that i need to get off my butt and do something!

With my job and being sat down all the time (70hours a week plus) i started to put a bit of weight on but only a few pounds, anyway i tried the gym, but with my working hours i just couldnt stick it properly, so after a bit of debating i decided to go for a bike ride using a family members Specialized rockhopper, and enjoyed my day immensely. So i decided to return to the cycling scene from which i left 5 years ago.

Then the next dilemma hit me, Road, Mountain or Hybrid? anyway i couldnt justify buying a Road, as sometimes id go offroad, but could'nt bring myself to buying a mountain bike, as for £400 the only ride i'd pick up would be made out of pig iron and riveted together therefore weighing over a ton!
so i decided to look for a hybrid, eventually settling on a Carrera Subway 2011 as even though i only live one mile from work, rather than driving in, i feel cycling would be a nice change, and weekend cycling. The Subway suited my needs and looks fantastic in my opinion?

i know some of you might have a go at me for buying a carrera, but it suited my needs ideally, and didnt scare my wallet! plus for £299 its a bargain! anyway, the whole point of this thread isnt just to introduce myself to you guys/girls, but to ask for advice on what modifications to do to it? Front suspension / Wheels / Seat / Handlebars / Grips / Bar-Enders Etc... (i plan on getting it sand blasted and professionally painted in time to give it that personal touch!)

id love to hear a little feedback from the forum and with a bit of luck will keep a photo diary of the updates that i do!
Im not a complete novice to cycling, but i am slightly rusty with trying to work out the best things to modify my bike with, So id appreciate any help, guiders or pointers to good sites that could be what im looking for!

Many thanks, Jay!

hotmetal

Welcome to the site.

70 hours a week driving? Blimey!

You've probably done the right thing getting an entry level hybrid. At least it's capable of both worlds, until you start getting serious off road. If I remember correctly, doesn't the Subway have 26" wheels and fat tyres? It's more MTB than hybrid in that sense anyway, so should be fairly robust. It's a fair enough bike, don't listen to bike snobs saying don't buy a Carrera. However, I would say it might be worth getting the first service done by a 'proper' local bike shop. Halfords have a very hit-or-miss reputation when it comes to assembling or working on bikes. Some stores are fine, but some couldn't assemble a boiled egg into an egg cup. My mate bought a bike from them and when I saw it it was dangerous – loose handlebars, badly adjusted brakes, rear wheel cones…

I probably wouldn't do too much to it initially, at least until you're well used to it. For short distances you won't get much out of trying loads of different seats etc. If it was me I'd ride it as it is for a few months, and see what kind of cycling you end up enjoying most (over and above just getting to work and back). You might end up better off spending money on another bike for off-roading proper, because a hybrid will only get you so far. Second hand can be a good way to save dosh and still end up with a decent bike - £400 might get you a heavy hardtail (and would get you a real dog of a full-suss) when new, but could get you a real decent bike 2nd hand. Likewise, if you start getting more into road cycling, you might want to keep the Subway as a hack/off-roader and get a more road-biased bike. Even if you decide you only want one bike, figure out what you mainly do first, because if you like trails, then you might want to go for sus forks and riser bars, but if you're more road biased you might prefer lighter wheels and some semi-slick tyres like Schwalbe CityJets, where sus forks will just add weight and suck your speed. Maybe even a proper hydraulic brake on the front if you become a speed demon and find that the cable-operated discs are at their limit. Also it might be worth considering some clipless pedals (SPDs as Shimano call them). Once you're used to them they're a lot better than flat pedals for most purposes. You can get 'casual' style mountain bike shoes that accept cleats, have a sole that's stiffer than trainers but not rigid like road cycling shoes and don't look weird when you get to work/the pub. There's a massive thread on here that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the subject.

Enjoy your bike and the forum.

apollo179

Welcome - sounds like a good bike.
5 years in the army - you must have some great stories.
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Misura

Misura

Thanks for the constructive replies, i decided to pick up a new gel seat today, went out for a little 10 miler afterwards to get the feel for it, as my last one was like riding a washing line!

as for the Subway, i really cant complain as for the price i paid for it its brilliant, really smooth and decent(ISH) tyres.

Just need to get my phys level back up now so i can get myself into some clubs as im rapidly loving biking again even though it did absolutely Pi$$ down today, i usually dont even get that wet in my shower!

Top Bottom