Project: Simplify The Scott

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Being old and weedy, I need looooow gears. So, using a mix of what I have on the two bikes, plus minimal new bits, this is the plan.
Move the RS550 wheels to the Scott, installing a Sunrace 11-42t cassette. Move the Alivio RD-M4000 to the Scott, with an extender if needed. Move the Claris 2x LH shifter and EF65-9 RH shifter to the Scott. Remove the outer 50t chainring. Replace the middle ring with a 44t. This gives a 2x9 setup with a gear range of 19 to 106 inches. Enough top end for me, and enough bottom end to climb walls. I'll need it.
RS500 wheels to the mixte, along with the 11-34t 8-speed cassette currently fitted. Explore minimum chainring size for that bike. OR fit a much wider-range 8-speed, again probably Sunrace. Fit stem friction shifters. And some brake levers! Mudguards and a rack, if I can find a way to get it up and down to the flat. Swap to 32mm tyres.
Then I have wet-and-dry bikes with hilariously low gearing.
I'm liking this plan.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
so what's the lowest gear? 44:42?

20220427_145725.jpg
Done.
Haven't actually simplified it, just converted to 3x9 for now. Has 30-50t to 12-36t giving 21 to 104 inch gears. Might take the inner ring down to 26, as that seems the easiest way to get lower still, but will leave it alone for the moment.
It now has the mis-matched cockpit from the mixte, and its 28mm tyres. That may or may not work; there's a mm to spare 'twixt tyre and downtube.
Brakes off the mixte to @cyberknight, as he missed out on the other set for sale.
Other odds and ends soon. Test ride sometime this week!

An additional discovery today: the R500 wheels from the Scott are scrap, or the rear is at least. A dent, and the seam is opening up a bit. Front seems fine, well worn but still ok. Rear hub is ok, so might salvage that.

Top Bottom