Proper army surplus stores - recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Theres one next to Bridge Motorcycles, in Marsh Barton trad est Exeter. Its tucked away with some small business units, but they have a lot of stuff to look at. I have noticed that these surplus stores have got expensive in recent years.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There was great one in Higjh Road North Finchley (Thatchers' constituency), sadly no more. I can remember going in there as a teenager. The proprietor was a raving homosexual with a penchant for boys. Always came running into the dressing room just after you'd pulled the jeans up to run his hand over your bottom. Looked rather like The Joker from Batman.
Just a thought, if you were underage and the shop keepers other victims were also boys as opposed to men, would it not be more reasonable to describe him as a paedophile or perhaps a sexual predator if the individuals involved were older, rather than a "raving homosexual"?

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
I think the issue is that Army Surplus shops can not get the stuff any more.
The Army no longer orders vast amounts of stuff 'just in case'

Having said which:
Our next door neighbor in the early 1990's bought an Army Surplus "motorbike in a box".
A brand new, un-assembled, 1939 BSA British Army dispatch bike.
It took him a couple of months to put it together, but it was a thing of green beauty once done

When redecorating my house we were able to age the wallpaper layers by the green paint. Apparently in late 1940's after WWII ended the army released many tonnes of paint, and as people had not painted their houses for the previous decade everyone started painting everything.
You could have any color you like, as long as it was green!

Having said which:
Our next door neighbor in the early 1990's bought an Army Surplus "motorbike in a box".
A brand new, un-assembled, 1939 BSA British Army dispatch bike.
It took him a couple of months to put it together, but it was a thing of green beauty once done

Some do still offer items like the Armstrong (no connection...) m/bikes

1. Blanchards on the A1079 Hull Road, between Market Weighton & York
I've been there on a few occasions
Clothing too!
They once had a Centaur!!:wub:
https://pablanchard.co.uk/

2. THIS is a good site, both physically, & on the web
Its name (address) indicates what it actually was
http://www.ljacksonandco.com/
They have some lovely equipment, like the Oshkosh MBT tractor units, & the MAN 8x8 recovery vehicles

It was the Bloodhouse surface - air missile defence site for RAF Finningley (home at that time, of a V-bomber squadron)
If you look at the aerial photos, it shows the dispersal points/missile launch-pads

3. There's also https://crouchmilitarysales.co.uk/ which are part of Crouch Recovery, who some of you may have seen on the roads, or in the TV programme 'Trucking Hell'

4. Years ago there used to be a surplus dealer, near Hoghton Towers (towards Preston), that had a lovely collection of 101FC's for sale
I still want one of those
I forget the name

You have waaaaay too much time on your hands if you want one of them
A 101FC?
A friend used to have one, it was so much fun to drive!!!
They scare the bejesus out of taxi drivers!, even B*W's used to give way

Not so big, shorter than most estate cars of the era
Mindst you, that low-compression V8, & the gearing wasn't so good for economy

With my utter shed of a 2A Light-Weight, of that time
kgjkgkigfkigfu.jpg sdfghj.jpg

Brains

Legendary Member
I had a 1984 Series III SWB
I used to call it my Off-Road 4X4 as it spent more time off the road than on it!

I replaced it with a Defender LWB - wonderful vehicle, kept it for 12 years, but it cost a fortune in spares and repairs

To own a 101FC you need to know how to use a workshop, a lot of spare time and deep pockets.

I had a 1984 Series III SWB
I used to call it my Off-Road 4X4 as it spent more time off the road than on it!

I replaced it with a Defender LWB - wonderful vehicle, kept it for 12 years, but it cost a fortune in spares and repairs

To own a 101FC you need to know how to use a workshop, a lot of spare time and deep pockets.

I've had a few Landies
My first was that god-awful 2A Light-Weight shown

4 x 90's (1 x 2.5N/A, 1 x 200Tdi, 1 x 300Tdi, 1 x V8CSW)
2 x 110 (1 x 300Tdi Hard-Top, 1 x 110 Td5 SW)
1 x Discovery 50th Anniversary

The last was the 110Td5, a 'Heritage'

Hicky

Guru
Tib St is a rip off, It used to be owned by ex Mod but its just a geezer flogging crap to the northern quarter types. Depending what you're after depends where you shop. The kit issued now is very good, beyond a few items you don't really need to buy owt unless your CQMS is a lazy twat or a tard.

Top Bottom