Proposed plans for Italian cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was discussing the ideas "some people" have about cyclists needing to pay "road tax" - with someone some time ago
this person is not know to be a deep thinker
or thinking of any kind actually

anyway - I pointed out that electric cars pay zero "road tax" due to zero emissions
bicycles (including ebikes - the legal ones) also produce zero emissions
hence bikes paying road tax pay it at zero rate

but they - in his plans - have to be registered and submit paperwork and all that
all of which costs money and the government has to employ people and buy computers and computer storage to administer it all
all fo which also costs money

so the amount of money it takes to run the "road tax" system - which will inevitably cause the "road tax" rates to rise by a small percentage
zero pounds PLUS 5% give zero pounds
but the non electric cars and vans and lorries and everything see a small rise in "road tax" to keep the system going with all the extra load on the system

so - tax bikes so they can use the road results in zero cost for someone with a bike - but increase the "road tax" he has to pay for his car

OK - he was confused - which is his normal state of being
but it made sense

classic33

Leg End Member
I was discussing the ideas "some people" have about cyclists needing to pay "road tax" - with someone some time ago
this person is not know to be a deep thinker
or thinking of any kind actually

anyway - I pointed out that electric cars pay zero "road tax" due to zero emissions
bicycles (including ebikes - the legal ones) also produce zero emissions
hence bikes paying road tax pay it at zero rate

but they - in his plans - have to be registered and submit paperwork and all that
all of which costs money and the government has to employ people and buy computers and computer storage to administer it all
all fo which also costs money

so the amount of money it takes to run the "road tax" system - which will inevitably cause the "road tax" rates to rise by a small percentage
zero pounds PLUS 5% give zero pounds
but the non electric cars and vans and lorries and everything see a small rise in "road tax" to keep the system going with all the extra load on the system

so - tax bikes so they can use the road results in zero cost for someone with a bike - but increase the "road tax" he has to pay for his car

OK - he was confused - which is his normal state of being
but it made sense
You want to set him a challenge, with a reward of say a £100, if he completes it.

Successfully register and pay the Road Tax for a pedal cycle. If he manages that, you'll pay him the £100.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know if it's been mentioned, apologies if it has, but there's also a reinforcement of the safety laws which will mean a Lifetime ban for all those convicted of driving under the influence of drugs. So not all bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom