prostate - advice needed on saddles with holes or grooves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
johnnyh said:
is there a reliable way to measure for saddle size without treking to a dealer to sit on some memory gel device?

Come on fella. What's the relatively short trip to a dealer compared to thousands of miles of comfort?;)

johnnyh

Veteran
Gerry Attrick said:
Come on fella. What's the relatively short trip to a dealer compared to thousands of miles of comfort?;)

hehehe it is one of those life things chap, work doesn't put me near a dealer - heck I am snatching 1-2 hour rides at the moment when I can, but the t'interweb means I can shop at this time of night.

So I can appreciate in a perfect world I could take half a day out to go saddle shopping, but reality denies me that kind of fun.

now then, damp towel and... ;)

threefingerjoe

Über Member
xpc316e said:
Of course, you could consider a recumbent.

I agree, XP, but, let's face it. MOST people would rather suffer numb hands and impotence, than try a recumbent. Besides, if everyone rode recumbents, then we'd have to work harder to keep up! :biggrin:

italiaandyf

I've just changed to a Toupe after riding an Arione for about a year. I started to get numbness after about 40-50K with the Arione. Changed to a Toupe last Friday, been out everyday on it, definately more pressure on the sit bones, but I don't mind that, it reminds me of a Brooks I used to ride, and no numbness - so it's on the bike to stay.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Is the Toupe be considered suitable for off-road MTB cycling/trekking or is it really just a race saddle?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
johnnyh said:
is there a reliable way to measure for saddle size without treking to a dealer to sit on some memory gel device?

There is a bum measuring device at the bottom of Park Street if you are ever in Bristol - just takes 2 seconds. I tried all the home methods too... including playdoh... and it was a similar sort of measurement. But the entire saga managed to amuse my kids ... I think they think someone got out a tape measure and that I had to strip down in the shop:biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
johnnyh said:

There is a bum measuring device at the bottom of Park Street if you are ever in Bristol - just takes 2 seconds. I tried all the home methods too... including playdoh... and it was a similar sort of measurement. But the entire saga managed to amuse my kids ... I think they think someone got out a tape measure and that I had to strip down in the shop:biggrin:

From a ladies point of view ... I prefer saddles with holes - 2 BG ones.

dellzeqq said:
I was told to stop cycling today. By a urology consultant no less...... Imagine you were cycling with a finger up your bottom (and, believe me, I was given good cause to imagine this earlier today).
NHS cutbacks, eh! I was sent down to Jimmy's last year but had to make do with blood tests. I complain to the waiting benches that I had psyched myself up to screens, hot water and one or more greased digits and wasn't going to be fobbed off..
Nurse pokes her head round the curtain. "Oi, you! Now just piss off home, before we go in with the scalpel."

It turns out that a Gripping Gland is one thing I don't need to worry about yet, but I shall stick to a Brooks just in case - no bugger is getting a finger through that.

Top Bottom