Protecting my rear end...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Airlane1979

:sad: My hybrid bike has a short rear mudguard, chosen because I store the bike in a small outhouse vertically resting on its rear wheel so a full-length guard would be crushed under the bike's weight. This means that I still get a lot of oily mud spraying up on me, making my clothes dirty after each ride on wet surfaces. Is there a solution to this?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Put a wheel hook up in the outhouse so bike is clear of ground and fit a longer mudguard

OP
OP
A

Airlane1979

A DIY-competent friend did that for me but did not place it high enough. He's no longer available so - as your suggestion is promising - I'll see if I can borrow a drill from someone else.

Last edited:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I had a similar problem due to different circumstances, I do a lot of canal riding that means I have to dismount and lift the bike onto its rear wheel to get through the yobbo barriers. My full length guards foul the floor pretty much as yours do as I did this, but by cutting about 3 inches from the guard I could wheel it on the rear wheel and had very similar coverage to the full guard... I think I added a small rubber flap to the end to get it back to normal coverage too - best of both worlds.

OP
OP
A

Airlane1979

I had a similar problem due to different circumstances, I do a lot of canal riding that means I have to dismount and lift the bike onto its rear wheel to get through the yobbo barriers. My full length guards foul the floor pretty much as yours do as I did this, but by cutting about 3 inches from the guard I could wheel it on the rear wheel and had very similar coverage to the full guard... I think I added a small rubber flap to the end to get it back to normal coverage too - best of both worlds.
Now, that sounds simpler than asking someone to come here to drill into the wall of my rented flat. If I could add that rubber flap, it wouldn't be likely to break with the weight of the bike on it. Where did you find such a flap?

Just get a longer guard - long enough to protect your bum but not so long that it scrapes the ground when you store it.

wonder if anyone invented a sliding mudguard, where 1/2 slides forward for storing, then when you want to use it, that 1/2 slides out & down?

OP
OP
A

Airlane1979

Get a clip on rear mudguard? They're mounted on the seat post so the rear wheel can still touch the ground.
Poundland also have them in stock every so often.
I've seen those but they don't seem to have better coverage than the half-wheel guard on it now. I'm looking at screw-on mudflap guard extensions on ebay which seem a rare species - there are only two models. If they attach to my plastic guard, they might do the job. This is a right nuisance at the moment in winter, as every time I return from a trip to the shops, I have to sponge down the back of my jacket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAW-Bicy...350360?hash=item3b303ca198:g:9f8AAOSwk1JWbzUE

OP
OP
A

Airlane1979

Assaver!

Google them, might do the job.
I've had a look. They don't seem any better than what's on the bike now. I'm thinking of a mudflap extension, as in the ebay link above. That would be flexible enough not to break when I store the bike vertically and should give pretty great protection. So long as it can be screwed into the plastic mudguard.

Top Bottom