Protecting paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
No matter how careful I am when I take my shoes off they end up scuffing and dirtying the paintwork on the skirting board in the corner of the porch where I keep them. I've just repainted the skirting and I'd like to protect that short stretch. I was thinking about maybe using a strip of helicopter tape. Will that stick to household paint? Is there a better alternative? The paint is eggshell not gloss if that makes a difference.

Adam4868

Guru
I've always used Satin for skirting boards and bannisters etc...easier to clean marks off as well.

MikeG

Guru
I really wouldn't stick tape on it, Anne. Tape itself goes manky and frayed, and then when you try to take it off it damages the paintwork anyway. I think you'd be storing up a greater ordeal for the future. Paint should be robust enough to withstand the odd muddy scuffmark. If you have a decent satin (or even gloss) paint, any muddy marks should wipe off completely, and the paint remain undamaged. If that hasn't worked for you, I'd be looking at something in the way, such as a small shoe rack, or a quadrant, maybe, which might help keep shoes off the skirting. If all else fails then you could screw a piece of perspex in place, which you could always unscrew if it got manky behind.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Keep your shoes in the garage or shed, that's what I do with a lot of mine that get really dirty. With just day to day footwear be careful taking them off.

Have a box to put the shoes into
could be a decent looking box is aesthetics matter - or a normal shoe box
or put them on a specifically designed shoe rack - but make sure it is deep enough for your shoes - my wife bought one and it was great for her shoes (size 4/5- could fit 5-6 pairs on a shelf
useless for mine (size 8) as they had to go in sideways so I could only get 1 pair on a shelf!
and - as shown - my feet are not exactly huge for a man!

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I really don’t see the issue, eggshell is tough just wipe the dirt off once in a while or be more careful when you put your shoes down.
Realistically I'll never get round to cleaning. Housework is never high on my priority list :laugh:

Keep your shoes in the garage or shed, that's what I do with a lot of mine that get really dirty. With just day to day footwear be careful taking them off.
I don't think it's dirt on the shoes, it's more the rubber/plastic construction that rubs onto the paintwork. And it's not that I'm not careful taking them off, but they get nudged against the skirting when I'm doing other things - carrying in shopping or lifting the Brompton in and out.

Have a box to put the shoes into
could be a decent looking box is aesthetics matter - or a normal shoe box
or put them on a specifically designed shoe rack - but make sure it is deep enough for your shoes - my wife bought one and it was great for her shoes (size 4/5- could fit 5-6 pairs on a shelf
useless for mine (size 8) as they had to go in sideways so I could only get 1 pair on a shelf!
and - as shown - my feet are not exactly huge for a man!
Sadly no room for anything like that. There's already a piece of furniture that stores cycling essentials, veg (it's the coolest part of the house) and walking boots. And the Brompton sits in a gap next to that.

I might try using a piece of the carpet protector that the Brompton sits on. I can maybe bend that up so it covers the skirting.

I suppose a wet Bank Holiday is the ideal time to have a play about with it...

Kingfisher101

Über Member
There must be a tough and washable skirting paint you can buy? You can get tough and washable emulsion because I've got some ready to go on.

Maybe just a short stretch of clear plastic stuck neatly to the skirting board to protect it and be easy to wipe??

Top Bottom