Protein shakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Don't believe a word said by another cyclist.

They don't want YOU winning the race they have entered.

Don't worry about me though, everyone gets a medal in an Audax.
( except when its the Mileater and I won't want YOU riding more miles than me ). :angry:

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
There is no evidence that creatine supplements have any effect except on very short duration exercise e.g. weightlifting.

No evidence there either.
http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/L-glutamine.html

People waste £squillions buying these supplements. There is no doubt that glutamine, for instance, is essential to muscle function - but no evidence that taking it as a supplement will make any difference. The body makes its own amino acids and isn't going to make any more just because you swallow ground-up cartilege from another species, even if that is allegedly rich in it - that isn't how the body works.

Explain to us all about 'Essential' and 'Non-essential' Amino acids.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I think I need to quote the 'bible' again for anyone who is serious about understanding the fundamentals of what to eat and drink and when etc etc etc

Everyone should have Anita Bean's Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition ready to hand.

No arguments!
;)

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
Facts? What is it with you and facts all the time? :biggrin:

Glutamine is reckoned to be non-essential i.e. adequately produced irrespective of diet.

I still maintain my central point - most of the money spent on supplements is wasted because if you are not deficient in that vitamin/mineral/enzyme/amino acid/whatever the effect is precisely zero. Most people who buy these things will achieve nothing except very expensive piss.

scaryant

Take Whey protein directly after your exercise (cycling or weights) for best results, your muscles will suck it up. I currently am taking Optimum Nutrition Whey but previously was on Maximuscle - Optimum is cheaper and appears to contain more bang for the buck. Hey they're all the same really, but you need to find one that suits you - I go for flavour and texture, the above I have in Chocolate and I can consume without any milk quite easily. Last night I mixed it into some 0% fat Greek yohgurt, wasn't bad... dunno if I'll do it again though! :wacko:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
See you at the salmonella shindig and at the tape worm tapas bar.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

ok, quick follow up...

Its early days yet, but i've been taking 2 shakes a day for about 3 weeks now.

Beforehand I was lacking in protein, and would suffer slightly if I pushed too hard. Certain leg muscles would ache quite a bit while cycling hard. Also, the next ride would be a bit uncomfortable to start with as these muscles wouldnt have fully recovered.

All change now - I can cane it harder on the bike for longer with much less discomfort. And I can ride consecutive days without any pain the next day.

Couldnt have asked for a better result :sad:

headhunter

walker said:
To answer your question, no. If your looking to gain more speed on the bike you should be looking at taking Creatine supplements to help with the high end capacity the muscle's will be put through. Protein Will only help repair the muslce after it has been put through an ardious exercise, and unless your climbing p hills for 4 hours theres no point. To supplement the exercise it might be wise to also get an L-Glutamine supplement too to aid recover in the muscles. With your protein intake and weights program (which is no point constantly doing bench press unless you really want to look like the hunchback of Notre Dame) you will increase the muscle size, therefore gain weight and again therefore more weight to take up the hills.

I think that's highly debatable. Creatine is good for shifting weights at the gym, it helps you in short energy burst exercises like lifting weights, less so in cycling and other endurabnce sports when you're looking for a slower release energy. Unless you're talking about sprints on a track or something, but even then I don't think creatine is the best option.

I agree that protein is useful. I drink My Protein whey shakes after the gym and my body has bulked up and I'm stronger than before.

walker

jimboalee said:

too easy,

Essential = not made in the body.

non essential = Already made in the body.

Every human bady needs around 7 of these amino acids (9 in infants) so the need to eat extra protein is essential

walker

headhunter said:
I think that's highly debatable. Creatine is good for shifting weights at the gym, it helps you in short energy burst exercises like lifting weights, less so in cycling and other endurabnce sports when you're looking for a slower release energy. Unless you're talking about sprints on a track or something, but even then I don't think creatine is the best option.

I agree that protein is useful. I drink My Protein whey shakes after the gym and my body has bulked up and I'm stronger than before.

Although your not wrong, cycling as a sport is also about fast burst's. if you had ever raced sucessfully at any level, you would know this.
Creatine is pretty usless in gyms unless your doing heaps of plyometric and power work. Plyo's are great workouts to do for cycling, running, swimming etc.

Top Bottom