Prototype 20" Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
View attachment 710499
£480 premium for the Grilled Bear C-line explore, the backpack costs £180?

First things first: Obviously you should compare list prices, not street prices. As to my knowledge there is no public price list the best option is to use Brompton's own webstore for getting list prices. There you see:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-18 um 11.00.32.png

So the price difference is not GBP480 but "just" a freaking GBP400. The seller you choose seems to sell "ordinary" c-Lines cheaper than list but not special editions. Maybe it is just the "Bumblebee" color - it was a seasonal color for 2023 that did not seem sell too well, they are still widely available and often a bit discounted.

So, where do the GBP 400 come from - or in other words: What are the differences between the two bikes?

AT0000R004012055P500_4__07588.1693489051.1280.1280.jpg

Looking at the spec and pics:

- Backpack for the carrier block vs. none - GBP180
- small pouch for the seat post vs. none - no idea, seems not to be available separately, maybe GBP40?
- Brooks C17 vs. standard Brompton saddle - GBP115
- Tanwall racers vs. black ones - GPB 48 per tyre *2 = GBP96

in total this would add up to GBP431. Substract a little bit for not having the standard black racers and the standard saddle you end up with the GBP400 they charge over the standard C-Line explore.

Exactly the same as with every single special edition until now. It is not that I would consider the special edition to be good value, I do not even like this special edition. But the mechanics for the pricing seem to be the same as with every special edition until now:
Take the base price of the model and add the end-user list price of the extra bits to it, as if you would buy them separately. Possibly (not always) substract a little bit for components that have been replaced with the special ones and there you are.

So one may like the special editions or not or one may accept the surcharge for the extra bits or not - it is (once more) obvious that Brompton does not charge

a silly price premium
for a paint job.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
I know the new model name as well, but was sworn to secrecy after a pinky swear^_^

Will the new 20" model be released next year, that I don't know for sure, but that is the plan. But you know what they say about plans...We might just get an announcement.

As someone on Reddit has recently outed the new model name, the 20" variant is the G-Line.

Last edited:
Top Bottom