ProTour Punditry Predictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
African races :eek:... sounds something for @Flying_Monkey :smile:... Now of course, it's up to you, but perhaps don't take it too far.
There are also "lesser" races - but closer by - where it would already be challenging (read close to impossible) to predict the winner.

I'll leave out the Africa races unless someone (ie FM) puts a compelling case for including any particular one of them. There will only be a token handful of Asia and America Tour races as well, but I'm open to suggestions for what to include and what to leave out.

The "stab in the dark" element is half the fun, isn't it? I don't think any of us is an expert.

But again, it's up to you (just perhaps take races that use a website, so at least we know who's on the starting list ^_^)

That's actually what they call "a good shout". I think cyclingnews.com publish start lists for most pro races though.

+1 for women (although I'll probably stick the whole season with Marianne Vos :smile:)

As tactics go, you could undoubtedly do a lot worse. ^_^

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
As promised, here are the rules and the calendar of qualifying races (also attached as pdfs). Happy to take any suggestions for amendments to the rules, as well as additions or deletions to the calendar...

Teh Roolz
Predictions to be submitted either via this thread to the forum or by personal message to me by Midnight (UK time) the night before the stage/race.
One prediction per stage/race.
One prediction for overall winner for multi-stage races. One prediction for each of the other major classifications (to be announced per race).
One prediction for lanterne rouge for multi-stage races.
Same rules apply to team events (ie team time trials) but make your prediction for a team rather than an individual.
No penalties for not making a prediction in any race.
Points will be collated and published occasionally in a league, updated as and when I get round to it.

For each stage/race result, points as follows:
1st: 5pts
2nd: 2pts
3rd: 1pt

In multi-stage races, for each overall win and other classifications, awarded at the end of the final stage:
1st: 10pts
2nd: 5pts
3rd: 2pts
Lanterne rouge: 25pts

Other points awarded in special circumstances:
Rider finishes 5th on a wet weather stage (at judge’s discretion): 13.7pts

Prizes
Prize for first place in the league at the end of the season: the undying esteem of your peers. Plus maybe some inexpensive cycling-related prize if I can think of something suitable.

The Calendar
[Key: ET - Europe Tour, AsT - Asia Tour, WE - Women Elite. All other races are WorldTour events.]

21-26 Jan: Tour Down Under
9-14 Feb: Tour of Qatar (AsT)
18-23 Feb: Tour of Oman (AsT)
27 Feb-8 March: Le Tour de Langkawi (AsT)
1 March: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite (ET)
2 March: Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne (ET)
7-9 March: Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen (ET)
8 March: Strade Bianche (ET)
9 March: Roma Maxima (ET)
9-16 March: Paris-Nice
12-18 March: Tirreno-Adriatico
15 March: Ronde van Drenthe (WE)
23 March: Milano-Sanremo
24-30 March: Volta Ciclista a Catalunya
28 March: E3 Harelbeke
29-30 March: Critérium International (ET)
30 March: Gent-Wevelgem Men; Trofeo Alfredo Binda (WE)
6 April: Ronde van Vlaanderen Men; Ronde van Vlaanderen Women (WE)
7-12 April: Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco
13 April: Paris-Roubaix
19 April: Liège-Bastogne-Liège (ET)
20 April: Amstel Gold Race
23 April: La Flèche Wallonne; La Flèche Wallonne Féminine (WE)
27 April: Liège-Bastogne-Liège
29 April-5 May: Tour de Romandie
7-11 May: The Women’s Tour (WE)
9 May-1 June: Giro d'Italia
14-16 May: Tour of Chongming Island (WE)
8-15 June: Critérium du Dauphiné
14-22 June: Tour de Suisse
4-13 July: Giro d'Italia Internazionale Femminile (WE)
5-27 July: Tour de France
2 Aug: Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian
3 Aug: Sparkassen Giro (WE)
3-9 Aug: Tour de Pologne
10 Aug: Prudential RideLondon Classic (ET)
11-17 Aug: Eneco Tour
22 Aug: Open de Suede Vargada TTT (WE)
23 Aug-14 Sept: Vuelta a España
24 Aug: Vattenfall Cyclassics
24 Aug: Open de Suede Vargada (WE)
30 Aug: GP de Plouay-Bretagne (WE)
31 Aug: GP Ouest France-Plouay
7-14 Sep: Tour of Britain (ET)
12 Sept: Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
14 Sept: Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
22-29 Sept: World Road Race Championships - Elite Men’s RR & TT, Elite Women’s RR & TT
05 Oct: Il Lombardia
10-14 Oct: Tour of Beijing

Attachments

• CCpredictor_calendar.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 63
  • CCpredictor_rules.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 40

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
NB I've included everything in the WorldTour calendar, even though some of the events in the latter stages of the season are two-bit races that no one really cares about. I shall happily consider dropping some of those if the consensus is that they aren't worth including. I've also left out some fairly big races because they clash with other races - eg the Tour of California, which clashes with the Giro. Again, I'll happily stick those back in if there is popular demand. I'm also happy to take advice on women's races I've left out that should be included.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
For the TDU, predictions will be accepted for the following classification jerseys:
Santos Tour Down Under Ochre Leader’s Jersey
ŠKODA King of the Mountain Jersey
Adam Internet Sprint Jersey

I will also accept predictions for the Santos Best Dressed Town Competition. With a bonus 10pts for anyone who gets it right.

The Santos Best Dressed Town Competition is a great way for South Australian communities, businesses and households to share the excitement of the Santos Tour Down Under.

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
The ochre jersey. That. Sounds. Exciting. What colour is the sprint jersey, drab?

The Couch

Über Member
The Calendar
[Key: ET - Europe Tour, AsT - Asia Tour, WE - Women Elite. All other races are WorldTour events.]

21-26 Jan: Tour Down Under
9-14 Feb: Tour of Qatar (AsT)
18-23 Feb: Tour of Oman (AsT)
27 Feb-8 March: Le Tour de Langkawi (AsT)
1 March: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite (ET)
2 March: Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne (ET)
7-9 March: Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen (ET)
8 March: Strade Bianche (ET)
9 March: Roma Maxima (ET)
9-16 March: Paris-Nice
12-18 March: Tirreno-Adriatico
15 March: Ronde van Drenthe (WE)
23 March: Milano-Sanremo
24-30 March: Volta Ciclista a Catalunya
28 March: E3 Harelbeke
29-30 March: Critérium International (ET)
30 March: Gent-Wevelgem Men; Trofeo Alfredo Binda (WE)
6 April: Ronde van Vlaanderen Men; Ronde van Vlaanderen Women (WE)
7-12 April: Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco
13 April: Paris-Roubaix
19 April: Liège-Bastogne-Liège (ET)
20 April: Amstel Gold Race
23 April: La Flèche Wallonne; La Flèche Wallonne Féminine (WE)
27 April: Liège-Bastogne-Liège
29 April-5 May: Tour de Romandie
7-11 May: The Women’s Tour (WE)
9 May-1 June: Giro d'Italia
14-16 May: Tour of Chongming Island (WE)
8-15 June: Critérium du Dauphiné
14-22 June: Tour de Suisse
4-13 July: Giro d'Italia Internazionale Femminile (WE)
5-27 July: Tour de France
2 Aug: Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian
3 Aug: Sparkassen Giro (WE)
3-9 Aug: Tour de Pologne
10 Aug: Prudential RideLondon Classic (ET)
11-17 Aug: Eneco Tour
22 Aug: Open de Suede Vargada TTT (WE)
23 Aug-14 Sept: Vuelta a España
24 Aug: Vattenfall Cyclassics
24 Aug: Open de Suede Vargada (WE)
30 Aug: GP de Plouay-Bretagne (WE)
31 Aug: GP Ouest France-Plouay
7-14 Sep: Tour of Britain (ET)
12 Sept: Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
14 Sept: Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
22-29 Sept: World Road Race Championships - Elite Men’s RR & TT, Elite Women’s RR & TT
05 Oct: Il Lombardia
10-14 Oct: Tour of Beijing
Daaaaaamn... you've got some high hopes that you're going to have a lot of time available :thumbsup:
I can only say, great of you to set this up!

The Couch

Über Member
Well... I'll have a try at kicking it off (and get the taunting going :evil:).
To show that I am not afraid to show my predictions publicly after absolutely destroying everyone last year in the Vuelta Velogames prediction league:
(well... and of course the fact that there are soooo many races that this one shouldn't make much of a difference :blush:)

People’s Choice Classic (not sure if this is included, but just ignore if @smutchin says this one ain't in the prediction)
  • Greipel (experience takes it when everybody is still a bit rusty in the first race)
San Remo Pasta stage 1 (man, I love these stage-names :smile:)
  • Greipel (ok, that's it... I am boring myself, the next predictions will be different, I promise)
BikeExchange.com stage 2:
  • Viviani (yes... an Italian winning in Australia)
Thomas Foods stage 3:
  • Gerrans (well... had to throw in at least 1 Australian, right?)
Bupa stage 4:
  • Michael Matthews (ok, make it 2)
Pure Blonde stage 5:
  • Geraint Thomas (because I want to be supportive of Smutch claim that this is going to be the season for G)
Be Safe Be Seen MAC Stage 6 (it was between Pure Blonde and Be safe, but this is my favourite name :thumbsup:):
  • Kittel

Santos Tour Down Under Ochre Leader’s Jersey: G. Thomas (as explained above)
ŠKODA (Ugly Green dotted) King of the Mountain Jersey: Maxim Belkov (why?? I haven't the faintest idea)
Adam Internet (drab?) Sprint Jersey: Greipel

Santos Best Dressed Town Competition: Willunga (will win it back after years of biting the dust)

EDIT:
Santos "Le Sang Rouge" Lanterne: Olivier Kaisen

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
People’s Choice Classic (not sure if this is included, but just ignore if @smutchin says this one ain't in the prediction)

Does it actually count towards the TDU? If not, I think maybe best leave it out. But by all means make some predictions by way of a warm-up!

Greipel (experience takes it when everybody is still a bit rusty in the first race)

Yeah, I'd already pencilled him in for the sprint jersey and a couple of stages. Promise I'm not just copying you!

I'll make my own predictions within the next day or two after giving it some thought.

Looking again at the calendar, there are rather a lot of races on it, aren't there? I think I'll scratch a few more out. No one will mind too much if I lose the Tour de Langkawi, will they? It's good to include a few of the more obscure races from outside Europe, but I don't want this to become a chore - either for me or for anyone taking part.

Top Bottom