Proud Daddy moment. :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Strick

Just thought I would share with people who may be a little more interested than the folk I work with.
Yesterday was the day my eldest rode his bike for the first time without stablisers. ^_^
A little later than most of his class mates, but he's a small 5 so I wasn't going to pester him until he was ready. He had a balance bike for a year or so, then progressed to a pedal cycle but used to lean a fair bit still. Yesterday we took him to the local Country Park, and after a little while I removed the stabilisers.
At first he was a bit wobbly and still leaning, but then after about 20 minutes or so, everything just dropped in to place and off he went. He weaves around a touch, but I'm sure he will soon gain better control.
It was SUCH a proud moment for me. :biggrin:
Even better news is that his 3 year old Sister now wants hers off. (anything he can do, I can do attitude). She nees to learn to pedal a bit better, but hopefully we will get hers off in a couple of weeks rather than holding her back.
Managed to get a stonking deal for Mrs Strick out of one of my work colleagues who has a bike he has barely used. He bought a smaller frame as he has short legs and its a bit of a girly paint scheme, so I need to get her to try it out for size and we will be good to go.
Happy Days. :bicycle:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice one.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My 'proud' moment turned into a horror one. My eldest son, who rips the legs off me on the bike now, asked me if I'd take his stabilisers off so he could learn to ride without them. I took him down to his school playground but had to push his baby brother in his pram to get there as I was on childminding duty. So we got there and his first few wobbly jaunts were starting to come together, one stabiliser off and then both of them were removed so it was his big challenge. The playground is on a slope and as he rode away happily, it turned bad as he started to wobble and cried out. A real dilemma for me; do I run after him and leave the baby in the pram or do I keep the baby in the pram safe and hope the older one recovers? Instinctively, I chased after the bike only to be aware of the pram behind me start to roll down the hill! It ended up with me caught in the middle and both lads were overturned! The eldest had scrapes to his arm and shin but the baby was scared but physically fine. A nasty little snidey scrote from next door (now a policeman BTW!) was walking by and found this superb entertainment and laughed uproariously about the incident.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Ah, nice one! Just think, this time next year, you'll be the fit strick family, bombing around Peterborough(ish) together on a fine sunny Sunday morning :thumbsup:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My 'proud' moment turned into a horror one. My eldest son, who rips the legs off me on the bike now, asked me if I'd take his stabilisers off so he could learn to ride without them. I took him down to his school playground but had to push his baby brother in his pram to get there as I was on childminding duty. So we got there and his first few wobbly jaunts were starting to come together, one stabiliser off and then both of them were removed so it was his big challenge. The playground is on a slope and as he rode away happily, it turned bad as he started to wobble and cried out. A real dilemma for me; do I run after him and leave the baby in the pram or do I keep the baby in the pram safe and hope the older one recovers? Instinctively, I chased after the bike only to be aware of the pram behind me start to roll down the hill! It ended up with me caught in the middle and both lads were overturned! The eldest had scrapes to his arm and shin but the baby was scared but physically fine. A nasty little snidey scrote from next door (now a policeman BTW!) was walking by and found this superb entertainment and laughed uproariously about the incident.
Had a similar incedent while on holiday, i think it was devon about 26 years ago, walking along a flat bit of road on the campsite one of my daughters a little way in front, still had her stabilizers on she turned right straight down a big hill, she took of like a rocket i saw what was going to happen but could not get to her in time. she hit a bump on the path and she was airbourne, made me feel sick, when i got to her she had grazes all over her nothing really bad but it did upset her, took a long time before she got back on her bike.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Great! I remember the same thing with my daughter in a park when she was about the same age . She will be eighteen this week. Just enjoy those years in between.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Happy memory stored S! :smile:
My son loved to ride his little 2-wheeler scooting down the grassy slope next to our house. It has a single silver birch tree in the middle.... yup!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Super! My oldest son also resisted the removal of his stabilisers (cue tears and tantrums!!!) but once he got the hang of it was the happiest bunny in town. Son #2 was a lot quicker but only because he wanted to keep up with big brother (and wanted his bike LOL).
By the time the youngest turned 5 we were doing family rides of 10-15 miles along Tissington, Monsal and Hayfield trails.

I see good times ahead.....

OP
OP
Strick

Strick

:thumbsup: Some good stories there guys.
Not been online since posting that comment. My Brotherlost his fight with Cancer on Tuesday morning, so it's been a heck of a weird week.
Took the sproggies out on their bikes again yesterday, Eldest growing in confidence already. Youngest really getting to grips with pedallin now. Although she was a bit tired by the end (after scooting down to the other end village twice, some playtime etc, THEN going out on the bikes. Lol).
And the deal was done on the bike for Mrs Strick. He really has barely ridden it, it is dusty and STILL had the £249.99 price sticker on the seat tube. Gave him £100 for it. :dance:

Top Bottom