Prove who you are....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
My GPs surgery has changed the way they do repeat prescriptions. As well as by phone, or in person, we could previously do it via a form on the website.
But now the website form has gone, and there’s a “repeat prescription portal”, for which you need a password.
You get the password via the GP surgery.

I was at the surgery today, collecting a prescription which I’d phoned in.

“And can you register me for the online prescription service”.

“We’ll need to see photo ID. Driving license or passport or similar”.

I looked through my wallet. Employer’s ID card. Train season ticket. Gym membership. All with photos, but not good enough. Credit cards, debit cards, National Insurance card, blood donor card, tesco club card. None good enough. Needs to be a driving license or passport or similar.

“So why do you need the photo ID?"
“To prove who you are, to allow you to use the online prescription repeat service”.
“But I don’t need ID if I order one on the phone, or if I put a paper form in the box?"
“That’s right”.
“And when I come to collect the prescription, like I’m doing at the moment, you just ask my address, and don’t need ID?"
“Yes”
“And I’m actually here at the moment to see the doctor, and he’s probably going to intimately examine me, then stick needles in me and give me some expensive drugs - and you don’t need ID for that?"
“That’s correct”.

“It’s all a bit daft isn’t it?"
“I suppose so. Can you bring your driving license next time and we’ll register you for the online service..."

Mrs M

Guru
My GP surgery are sticklers for “data protection” :laugh:
Would not give me any info re hubby but he called them once from my mobile.
Since then they assumed this was his number and sent me a text to attend my flu jab, never had one and not eligible.

CharlesF

Guru
@bruce1530 . If that is the Patient Access, it is a NHS app and logging on, etc. is much worse than providing photo ID. If your phone has facial recognition, that gets around the awful logging on procedure.

snorri

Legendary Member
My GPs surgery has changed the way they do repeat prescriptions.
Mine changed last year, (NHS Scot.) it's great!
I just go to my specified chemist shop and state my name, they ask for my address and check that it is identical to that on the medication package lying on a shelf in the shop with my name on it, I sign a prescrption and they hand it over. I don't have to ask anyone for a repeat prescription, no phone call, no online request, the system knows that when I have received 60 days supply of pills, I will be back in 55 days for more.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
I think mine (also NHS Scot) also do that scheme with pharmacists. I’ve been reluctant to sign up cos I tend to go to different chemists shops - but I guess it makes things easier.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
Re
My GP surgery are sticklers for “data protection” :laugh:
Would not give me any info re hubby but he called them once from my mobile.
Since then they assumed this was his number and sent me a text to attend my flu jab, never had one and not eligible.

It’s funny - sometimes they’re sticklers, and sometimes they just “follow procedure”, no matter how pointless.

True story - a few years ago, my daughter was unwell. I phoned NHS24 on her behalf for advice.

“Hello, NHS24? My name is .... and I’m phoning on behalf of my daughter, who is unwell. She’s asked me to call you."
“How old is she?"
“She’s 19"
“I’m sorry, we can’t discuss her health with you, unless she gives permission. Can you put her on to verify that we can discuss this with you?"
(all perfectly reasonable and sensible so far)

“But I’m phoning on her behalf, because she has completely lost her voice. She can’t speak at all. She wants me to phone."
“Can you put her on, so that we can verify that it’s OK to discuss with you?"
“But she can’t speak!"
“Just put her on"
(hands over phone)
“Hello, is that Miss ....."
(grunt)
“Can you confirm that it’s OK for us to discuss you case with your dad?"
(grunt)
“OK pass the phone back him....."

snorri

Legendary Member
I think mine (also NHS Scot) also do that scheme with pharmacists. I’ve been reluctant to sign up cos I tend to go to different chemists shops - but I guess it makes things easier.
Yes, that would confuse the system, it is convenient for me to use the same pharmacist every time:smile:.
I don't even remember having to 'sign up' prior to the change, although there was a lack of communication at changeover which led to some confusion, but the new system soon settled down.

Just carry an ID card, simple.

tom73

Guru
It’s depends on the practice as to when you need proof. Some ask when 1st register it’s not the repeat prescription that’s the thing. It’s because once set up it’s gives you access to your online medical notes.

postman

Legendary Member
There are two scenes in The Two Popes where the Pope is trying to order a rail ticket i think over the phone.It goes like this.
Hello yes i wish to order a ticket
Name
Bergoglio Jorge
Yes like the Pope
Address
Vatican City
Yes very funny
Then the phone goes dead.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's ok for you to say in Switzerland
Over here we have daft groups who will say it's denying people their liberty.Big Brother.Me i have no problem carrying id cards.I would like to see id cards produced at the point of hospital treatment.
Any of the banks willing to accept an ID Card?

Top Bottom