Provis switch men's reflective reversible cycling jacket, real world advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm considering buying a Provis Switch men's reflective reversible cycling jacket. Real World advice please. Does anyone here have any experience with these jackets?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have a Pro-Viz 360, it's great for visibility at night, and very waterproof but far from breathable.

When it's not raining, opening the side/pit vents is essential as I can be a bit of a sweaty beast.

I've settled on a Rockbros reflective gilet, worn over whatever softshell or other jacket is best suited to the weather on any given day. It has similar reflective elements but I still benefit from a more breathable outer shell. My son uses the Proviz & loves it. I'd still use it in heavy rain but expect to be damp inside from perspiration/condensation.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have a Pro-Viz 360, it's great for visibility at night, and very waterproof but far from breathable.

When it's not raining, opening the side/pit vents is essential as I can be a bit of a sweaty beast.

I've settled on a Rockbros reflective gilet, worn over whatever softshell or other jacket is best suited to the weather on any given day. It has similar reflective elements but I still benefit from a more breathable outer shell. My son uses the Proviz & loves it. I'd still use it in heavy rain but expect to be damp inside from perspiration/condensation.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure if breathability is a concern for me, it might be, I'm more concerned about being seen, I anticipate doing some solo night rides. Maybe THIS as compromise perhaps?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Proviz are excellent for visibility, as are some similar competitor products.

Problem with them is that they are boil in the bag. Fine if it's tipping it down, but for daily use, you want breathable garments.
Yes, they're certainly sweaty if worn for fast riding, especially in daytime temperatures.

But if worn at night I find I ride at a lower intensity, plus the air is cooler and there's no solar gain . All of which means I don't feel sweaty; the "boil in the bag" effect is mostly eliminated.
Oh, they're rubbish at keeping out the cold in winter!

I sold my Proviz360 after finding a cheap FDX equivalent with a much better fit.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Have those bright yellow capes gone out of fashion now? They seemed a good compromise in that you can wear your normal breathable togs, then if it rains you become the caped crusader. Just curious.

I had one of those in the ‘70s when I bought my first Kingpin. Brilliant if the wind was behind you.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I recently had a clear out of cycling stuff, ready for sale or donation soon. I found I have three boil in the bag jackets! Each worn once or twice and found to be thoroughly unpleasant. I may keep the hi viz one for nighttime rides... no it's going too.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I can help to the point that they look great. I bought one a couple of months ago (I think it was the Nightrider) and haven't been out on the bike since. It'll be perfect come April when it's mainly daylight, although I'm sure it'll still be raining!!!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
They’re great for pedestrians or runners. Really light up in car headlights.

For cycling, particularly if exerting effort, I’d be happier with a couple of good lights and something more breathable.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm considering buying a Provis Switch men's reflective reversible cycling jacket. Real World advice please. Does anyone here have any experience with these jackets?

I have the provis gilet, gets around the breathability bit to some extent being a gilet not a full jacket

Visibility in headlights etc is excellent, I've seen squirrel shading their eyes as I cycle past the refection is so bright

vickster

Legendary Member
I have one of these (well ladies in navy), light, comfy, breathable and very sparkly when lit up, showerproof, I layer up. There’s an updated v2 one. Have to sign up to SP to view.
They also have a yellow or grey waterproof option.
The proviz ones are like wearing a thick heavy duty binbag!

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0052.png
    IMG_0052.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0053.png
    IMG_0053.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0054.png
    IMG_0054.png
    44 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have one of these (well ladies in navy), light, comfy, breathable and very sparkly when lit up, showerproof, I layer up. There’s an updated v2 one. Have to sign up to SP to view.
They also have a yellow or grey waterproof option.
The proviz ones are like wearing a thick heavy duty binbag!

I saw that site but couldn’t get passed the pop up to sign in and I couldn’t view without signing up.

Top Bottom