provisional 2013 FNRttC Calendar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
People with Bromptons don't have to worry about riding them up Welsh mountains.
Correct! Its riding them down Welsh mountains that's the problem. The diddy wheels heated up so much that I thought I might melt the tubes. While I could ride up I had to walk down - doh!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this year's Cardiff to Swansea ride is going to be hillier than last year's. TC is most insistent. It was with difficulty that AH and I prevailed on her to avoid items called 'The Bwlch' and 'Constitution Hill', but there's no escaping the climb from Efail-Fach, which has more chevrons than a porcupine has quills. Mere mortals will see their lives and early morning sandwiches pass before them, while our modern day Jemima sails up the incline like the angel she is............

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
this year's Cardiff to Swansea ride is going to be hillier than last year's. TC is most insistent. It was with difficulty that AH and I prevailed on her to avoid items called 'The Bwlch' and 'Constitution Hill', but there's no escaping the climb from Efail-Fach, which has more chevrons than a porcupine has quills. Mere mortals will see their lives and early morning sandwiches pass before them, while our modern day Jemima sails up the incline like the angel she is............
Just as long as we avoid Bog Road. Give me a stretch of dual carriageway any day over that.....

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
:sad: I don't do hills!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
People with Bromptons don't have to worry train or coach. In 2011 London/Cardiff was a quid on Megabus. And you get chance to meet interesting people at no extra charge :becool:
Must have been a very interesting experience for you, Stuart. Paying for a bus ride, i mean. Just sayin'.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
How do you get to Lewes from Swansea without getting the Paddington train at least part of the way?
Direct trains from Cardiff to Brighton ;)

StuartG

slower but further
Direct trains from Cardiff to Brighton ;)
But you would be starting from Swansea Stu. And to get from Swansea to Cardiff you usually catch the Paddington train unless you elect to go Arriva. Some of Arriva's trains are OK (if crowded and tiny). Others are buses on rails (Sprinters), unreliable and best avoided at any price!

Oh and AFAIK there is currently only one connecting train from Cardiff on a Saturday afternoon. Plus it is usually cheaper via Paddington/Victoria. But yes it is possible to avoid the HS125s if you insist.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

^_^ I'm not even going to argue - I have already been made made to bear Official Responsibility for Neath.

ianmac62

Guru
I'm afraid all native Englishman of any vintage have to pay bus fares in Wales Martin. Bar Stewards.
Not quite correct, technically. As a Scot living in England, my bus pass is issued by an English local authority. I therefore pay bus fares in Scotland (and Wales). An Englishman living in Scotland has his bus pass issued by a Scottish local authority. While he pays bus fares in England, he gets free bus *and coach* travel in Scotland. Aberdeen to Edinburgh or Glasgow is therefore terrific value!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Absurdly early, but is anyone thinking of riding Hull-London afterwards, as I did last year? am thinking of staying in the Ibis hotel as it lets you in at 12 noon and is very near our breakfast stop.

This ones been on my radar since time began... So yes, all subject to health etc..

Top Bottom