provisional 2013 FNRttC Calendar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I like. I just have to wait and see when my on call dates are to see how many I can do.

I also would like to go Ramsgate again if only to see User10571's face after having encountered the asthmatic hand dryer but c'est la vie. :tongue:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oh and even if there is a Dieppe ride, I have an inkling of a suspicion of a feeling that I may not be allowed out that weekend.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
No Manchester.:cry: My fave.
I know. But..........seventeen people came on the last one, and all but three or four were from the southeast. I'd have stuck with it, but the change of ownership at the Carmen Rose didn't work for us.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Shame to see my 'local' ride go, but looks like a decent list.

With respect to Manchester, Ribchester was nice, but with smaller numbers would it be possible to operate using the Blackburn ASDA that we stopped in on the 2011 ride as a halfway stop?

To be honest I think you run an impressive number of rides as it is, so treat this as idle speculation only not a push to reinstate the ride.

On another note I'm trying out a Carlisle-Newcastle ride next weekend with a few others - if it works then I may be suggesting it for 2014 :smile: (up west coast mainline down east coast mainline)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Shame to see my 'local' ride go, but looks like a decent list.

With respect to Manchester, Ribchester was nice, but with smaller numbers would it be possible to operate using the Blackburn ASDA that we stopped in on the 2011 ride as a halfway stop?
I think I'll just make a date with Andrew and do that very thing. Whether we'd go to Morecambe or Blackpool I don't know.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I also would like to go Ramsgate again if only to see User10571's face after having encountered the asthmatic hand dryer but c'est la vie. :tongue:
Ramsgate was not so wonderful. The truth is that our route out to Whitstable isn't just the best that can be done - everything else is poor by comparison. And, worse, the bit that I really enjoyed on the recce ride left everybody else distinctly unimpressed.

The thing is this. We've sort of cracked it. I don't believe that there are better rides to be had in the southeast. We wring every bit out of the Brighton ride that there is to be had, and our halfway stop is just fantastic. The Felpham ride has its faults, but, again, there's no better destination along that stretch of sea, it uses a gap in the South Downs that you won't find on any other ride, and, for long stretches, it's really pretty.

Southend is ideal for first-timers, and it has a great train service. The Stock route has considerable charm, and, of course, our halfway stop is just fantastic.

I've looked at Herne Bay, Sandwich, Deal, Hastings, Worthing, Wittering (which we've done) and if you look at the routes, the train services, the distance and the destination there's nothing up there with the the four we have.

Newhaven is, without doubt, a nicer ride than Brighton, but getting back is difficult and, besides, nobody really wants to go there. Walton is a nice ride, but, again, the trains aren't good, and if you're going to have a small ride, why not go to Harwich or Southwold?

I would, however, look at other start points, but I think that other CTC groups might take up the running, as Simon B has in Reading. Peterborough to Skegness or Great Yarmouth?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this last one was more relaxed than the Harwich ride - and we split the ride in two for Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Mersea, Brightlingsea, Harwich, Felixstowe and on to Felixstowe Ferry, so the people in the second wave had an easier time still. I wouldn't have thought you would have a problem.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Southend is ideal for first-timers
Or for a ladies' and gentlemen's evening out on Bromptons. Just make sure you order a dry night next year, and I'll risk the eyebrow.

July 18-19-20 NEWHAVEN, DIEPPE, PARIS
Any chance you could persuade the ASO to rearrange the TdF next year? I've already got an unmissable meeting on July 19th.

U

User482

It all looks great. It's a pity about the Manchester ride, but as I've failed to make one, I'm part of the problem...

The Cardiff-Swansea ride looks to be the same weekend as the Etape du Tour.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
16 adventures for for two quid? that's half a crown* per ride............

*12.5p for people not old enough to have free bus passes

Top Bottom