provisional 2013 FNRttC Calendar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Is there the possibility of ever doing a longer route to the Bristol Channel ?
I wasn't on the Southwold run but maybe such an escapade would be a similar distance ?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
............not really. We've got a South Wales ride, and we've discussed routes from Birmingham, but, in my view, it's a long way (136 to Weston) for not a lot. Susie, Claudine and I went that way this summer and, to be frank, I'd far, far rather go across Essex and up through Suffolk than ride through Berkshire and Wiltshire

martint235

Dog on a bike
Is there the possibility of ever doing a longer route to the Bristol Channel ?
I wasn't on the Southwold run but maybe such an escapade would be a similar distance ?
There's usually a ride from London to the start of Cardiff - Swansea. It's on my provisional plan for 2013 along with the ride to York that I missed in 2012

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Just out of interest how far is the York-Hull ride? Do you take a wiggly route? - eg over the Wolds? I ask because I have have family in Driffield, so adding on Hull-Driff after breakfast could make this one to put in the diary - bike logistics & distance permitting. (or even Driff-York-Hull-Driff, depending on my fitness in April)
we go via Goole, Garthorpe, the A18 bridge, Flixborough, the Humber Bridge - about 72 miles

thom

____
............not really. We've got a South Wales ride, and we've discussed routes from Birmingham, but, in my view, it's a long way (136 to Weston) for not a lot. Susie, Claudine and I went that way this summer and, to be frank, I'd far, far rather go across Essex and up through Suffolk than ride through Berkshire and Wiltshire
Fair enough - I guess if Reading CTC ever did one, it would be possible to prepend a London->Reading bit and do most of the riding in the dark.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like all FNRttC events, it starts at midnight and finishes about 8am. It's flat. Very flat.
Ta.

I was thinking more about distance than duration. I think it's only 40 miles or so York-Hull by the shortest route. If the route is very flat then I guess it goes a bit more round the SE of the Wolds (sort of towards Howden) rather than straight line (through Market Weighton ish which would be a bit lumpier).

EDIT: But I see Delzeqq's answered my question anyway. Thanks everyone. I'll probably be there for this one.

Tim Hall

2057258 said:
Did I get accused of being la di dah the other day?
No. Your accuser included some helpful asterisks.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Ta.

I was thinking more about distance than duration. I think it's only 40 miles or so York-Hull by the shortest route. If the route is very flat then I guess it goes a bit more round the SE of the Wolds (sort of towards Howden) rather than straight line (through Market Weighton ish which would be a bit lumpier).

EDIT: But I see Delzeqq's answered my question anyway. Thanks everyone. I'll probably be there for this one.

This is the route we've taken the last couple years: -

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/945190

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've just had a look and the GPS came up with the same height gain as the mapped route. The amplitude is pretty low, as that graph is only between 0-100m, but apparently it undulates a bit more than you'd think. The big lumpy bits are at the end(past Flixborough) and the bridge is a bit of a climb, , and account for over 300 of the 585m, but the rest is a metre here and a metre there with gradients well under 1%. It all just seems to add up :smile:

Top Bottom