provisional 2013 FNRttC Calendar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
As for the Portsmouth ride - I don't think there will be many takers. Most people are going by car.

pah, sissy petrolheads! (but perhaps one of them can carry my luggage? :whistle: )

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I'll be getting to the ferry by public transport as we're carless. I could ride some of the way but that would mean himself carrying all our luggage as my bike has no rack (or mudguards!) and that wouldn't be very fair :whistle:

StuartG

slower but further
2088536 said:
There could be two Portsmouth rides. One evening on the Friday to get there for the overnight ferry to Caen. The other one overnight to get there for the morning Cherbourg ferry.
I am up for a FriDAY ride down as although I plan to take the Cherbourg ferry - I can stay with a friend in Gosport. If you book early you can usually get very cheap (like £19) Travelodged if you also prefer a day ride.

martint235

Dog on a bike
2088576 said:
I'm in the overnight ferry to Caen party. At the moment I don't know if I want to ride or train to Portsmouth.
I'm planning on being on the Caen ferry and if that plan comes off, I'll be cycling down to Portsmouth.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
2088536 said:
There could be two Portsmouth rides. One evening on the Friday to get there for the overnight ferry to Caen. The other one overnight to get there for the morning Cherbourg ferry.
Indeed. I haven't booked either ferry yet- no idea about leave for a few weeks more, so I'm not sure about the trip as a whole!- but Caen-Cherbourg is tempting. Certainly, whichever way people come down here, any and all assistance I can give will be on offer. Pre-ride social?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
For the Normandy trip I plan to take the train from London after work on the Friday and stay in a hotel in Portsmouth on the Friday night before and get the fast catamaran ferry on Saturday morning, arriving jusht in time for a boozy lunsch in Chserbourg hic!, then the 13k ride to the chateau. So there might be a spare place in the room on Friday night.
for the return there is a fast ferry from Cherbourg that arrives about 7pm in Portsmouth.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
That was my thinking too, Martin, as I like the idea of a boozy lunch. Is there much to do or see in Portsmouth and would it be worth taking an extra day off work and having an afternoon there?

Top Bottom