Pruning a Hydrangea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I think I'll cut it back quite hard in the spring, but take some cuttings first.
Thanks folks :smile:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think the flower-heads are attractive. Dried Hydrangea flowers are/were used as winter decoration indoors.
Cut enough of the older stems right out to avoid crowding and you'll get better, bigger flowers.

Slick

Guru
No, she's very much a trial and error type of gal. I think she compares notes with her mum quite a bit, but whatever she doesn't know she seems to make up with some really good results.

I think I'll cut it back quite hard in the spring, but take some cuttings first.
Thanks folks :smile:
If you do that you're unlikely to get any flowers this year. If the overall shape of the Bush is congested only cut back about a third of the stems to give the remainder more light and space. Leave the old flower heads on until the frost is over. You will see the new buds forming below the old flower heads.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Maybe I'll just thin it out so I still get flowers. I've already deadheaded it, so next time, I won't.

What did you do with your hydrangia?
If you look at this photo taken yesterday you can see where this years growth will come from and why if it had been cut hard back in the autumn all this potential growth would have been lost.
Providing it is sheltered from extreme frost the old flower heads can be removed now from just above the sprouting buds.

Hydrangia.jpg

Top Bottom