Pruning a Hydrangea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When, how & if, should I prune my Hydrangea?

IMG_0555 (1).JPG

Pot size is approximately 40cm
Ta :smile:

The same question will be asked regarding my Fuchsia tomorrow..

Slick

Guru
I'll answer tomorrow as I know more about the Fuchsia.:whistle:

Mrs Slick however, reckons both are like weeds, it really doesn't matter what you do to it but still advises cutting it back to the first bud.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I'll answer tomorrow as I know more about the Fuchsia.:whistle:

Mrs Slick however, reckons both are like weeds, it really doesn't matter what you do to it but still advises cutting it back to the first bud.
The hydrangea was grown from a cutting taken from my dear departed fathers shrub so I do wish it to survive.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The Hydrangea in our front garden is at least 27 years old,as it was there when we moved in. Over the last few years its flower production has become less and less.About 15 years ago folk walking by in the Summer,stopped and asked if they could take cuttings,such was its beauty. Now about half of it has died and the flowers that do come out are pale and don't last half as long. I was told wait till March to cut the dead flowers and branches down,but it was so untidy that i did it in the autumn,as leaving those big dead flowers for months made it unsightly. Maybe that's why it's gone downhill?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Our bush gets a yearly trim once the frosts have stopped , we trim down to just above the lowest new shoot and hey presto 13+ years later still going well

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@PeteXXX

Once the chance of frosts have past you can prune it, though it should really have been done after flowering. Hydrangeas flower on old wood, so if you floor it then it won't flower this year.

Either do a two year rotation and cut half the stems back every year, or split that into thirds which will give you more flowers per year.

Fuchsia- At the end of March you can take it right down to 6 " if required. If you give it a lighter prune it will flower a lot quicker.

pawl

Legendary Member
Hydrangeas flower on new season growth,so don't prune hard.
I usually prune in march cutting old wood back to the first or second bud, any lower and you are cutting out the growth that will produce the flowers.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Thanks for the replies folks. I pruned the fuschia to about 3 inches last spring and covered it with some straw in case of late frosts. It grew beautifully last summer.
All I've done with the hydrangea so far is keep it shaped, dead headed it and trimmed the straggly bits off.

:smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
When, how & if, should I prune my Hydrangea?

View attachment 334079

Pot size is approximately 40cm
Ta :smile:

The same question will be asked regarding my Fuchsia tomorrow..

from rhs website

Pruning established mopheads and lacecaps
  • Cut out one or two of the oldest stems at the base to encourage the production of new, replacement growth that will be more floriferous
  • Poor or neglected plants can be entirely renovated by cutting off all the stems at the base. However, this will remove all the flowers for that summer, and the new stems will not bloom until the following year
looking at your pic, option 2 is best.

Thereafter (I almost typed "going forward"!) work on a 3 year cycle, removing the oldest stems to the base each year.

Don't remove deadheads till after the winter frosts, they act to protect the next seasons flower buds.

D

Deleted member 26715

Whoever gave you that advise is right, your supposed to leave the flowers on so that the frost doesnt get to the new buds.You only remove the dead flowers after there is absoultely no chance of anymore frosts.
Interesting, we have 2 in our back garden & we have always cut them right back in the autumn every couple of years, so far they have always recovered.

PK99

Legendary Member
Interesting, we have 2 in our back garden & we have always cut them right back in the autumn every couple of years, so far they have always recovered.

The plant happily regenerates from the Base but you lose a seasons flowering.

New flower buds are on last seasons growth and should be protected from frost by leaving the old flower heads in place till risk of frost is over.

Top Bottom