1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pub bike

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by simonali, 12 Feb 2008.

1. simonali

simonali Über Member

Went down the pub yesterday afternoon with a mate on our bikes and while he was inside getting 'em in I had a look at his bike, as he'd asked me to look at the squealing brakes. It was an old Shogun MTB and had steel rims (!) and yellow plastic V brakes on it. The seatpost was round the wrong way and the saddle was pointing upwards. The handlebars were steel, also. We tried to adjust the brake blocks for a bit of toe-in, but the bolts were seized. The blocks seemed to be polishing the chrome on the rims accentuating the squeal, I suspect?

He started saying about getting a new one and all I could say was "Good idea!". :rolleyes:

Good pub bike, though, I suppose. I wouldn't nick it!

2. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Pub bike...:biggrin:
    I have a pub car at the moment....:rolleyes:

3. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

if he's got steel rims, leather faced brake blocks will stop the squeal, if you can find any that is.

4. OP
    OP
    simonali

simonali Über Member

And get the old ones off!

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

WD40 should do the trick.

6. OP
    OP
    simonali

simonali Über Member

They didn't have that on tap in The Barge, Bradford-On-Avon! :rolleyes:

7. yenrod

yenrod Guest

..on leather faced brake blocks + steel rims: lovely combination :rolleyes:

8. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Five pints and no brakes. Even better!

9. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

A beaten up old bike for going to the pub is a good idea but you can also have the same 'security' if you have a low colour and don't clean it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. My first MTB was a Shogun Prairie Breaker, bought second hand in 1993! It was frightening, fully rigid, equipped with cantilever brakes and thumbies. I had some great times on it but with hindsight I can't believe I took it anywhere near a mountain...(which I did).

11. OP
    OP
    simonali

simonali Über Member

I think this might've been a Shogun Spine Breaker?

12. I used to buy cheap bikes for shopping, commuting, going to the pub and so on. Until I realised there was no point as I was gradually fitting them up with some pretty good components to make them nicer to ride.:smile: